Shop made thin rip jig

Rex Edgar

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

That's a nice looking jig, Rex. Very well done.

I'm curious, as I see a lot of thin-rip jigs, but myself just use the fence and a push shoe with a sacrificial 'heel' to keep the thin piece from kicking back. Have you experienced a kick-back when ripping thin strips?

I have encountered a few 'ejections', let's call them. If I am ripping something smaller than the narrowest shoe on the Gripper, then I get a little nervous. Also for repetitive cuts there is no guesswork, just slide the fence over capturing the work piece with the jig.  I upgraded a contractor saw in Dec15 with a SAWSTOP and man what a difference. Before tuning in to this board, I had never heard of SS. I bought an extra cartridge just in case, but I really don't want to find out how fast it stops with red meat!

39 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

I have encountered a few 'ejections', let's call them. If I am ripping something smaller than the narrowest shoe on the Gripper, then I get a little nervous. Also for repetitive cuts there is no guesswork, just slide the fence over capturing the work piece with the jig.  I upgraded a contractor saw in Dec15 with a SAWSTOP and man what a difference. Before tuning in to this board, I had never heard of SS. I bought an extra cartridge just in case, but I really don't want to find out how fast it stops with red meat!

How is the saw stop a upgraded and how is it so much of a difference?

8 minutes ago, drzaius said:

That's something I need to build. What did you use in the track?

I have a Rockler feather board that has two sets of expanding miter bars and hardware, I ordered a replacement set while I cannibalized the feather board. Here's the page:

image.png

5 minutes ago, mat60 said:

How is the saw stop a upgraded and how is it so much of a difference?

The saw that was replaced was a RIDGID contractor saw and was very good for what I used it for. However the SAWSTOP is 3 HP, the fence is nuts on out of the packaging, I never had a rising knife before and will not go without one in the future. Compare a RIDGID TS 2424 and  the SAWSTOP Industial 3HP 240 volt saw. There is no comparison!

The bearings are from Amazon:

image.png

Is it the saw in your shop? I found it to be a very good unit for what it cost and what it was built to do......

Yep, my 'daily driver'. Its a huge step up from the benchtop Crapsman saw it replaced. The mobile base really makes it work in my woodshop/garage convertible. I HATE parking in the cold rain that is our excuse for 'winter'.

Well...Someday I may wish I had a saw stop but I hope not..One thing I see is some may get careless thinking they are safe with it and with my luck it wouldnt work and you would still have cut off fingers..I do agree the saw stop is a nice saw..