All about Fountain Pens

Llama

I should have expected this.

Most people don't even have a pen or know how to write their name legibly. Sadly, penmanship has been reduced to the few times a day people have to scratch letters that vaguely represent a signature. Simply scratching at the paper as a newborn gorilla would with a dull stick against dirt.

I was using the pen to write notes in a meeting the other day, someone said "what's that crazy thing".. Damn millennials. I expected it from them, I hoped more from this group. In another meeting, someone recognized the pen and was able to identify the ink I was using. So, not all hope is lost. 

I suspect I'd be just as successful with thread making if I started one about watches that don't run on batteries...

• Like 1

I've never used a fountain pen. I'd be willing to try but i honestly like pencils better because my handwriting is small. I run .3mm for writing on paper and had top upgrade to .5mm for woodworking. If i go anything bolder i usually end up not being able to read anything.

22 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Phew ! Thanks. Gotta come play with your planes sometime.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Totally what I'm picturing when you said that.

13841311-Kids-lying-on-grass-and-playing

I've never used a fountain pen. I'd be willing to try but i honestly like pencils better because my handwriting is small. I run .3mm for writing on paper and had top upgrade to .5mm for woodworking. If i go anything bolder i usually end up not being able to read anything.

Totally what I'm picturing when you said that.

13841311-Kids-lying-on-grass-and-playing-with-paper-planes-Stock-Photo-paper-plane.jpg

Thats exactly what I was talking about ! :)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I am jealous Mel.

When I was in elementary school in the early 60's we had penmanship class called the Palmer Method and had to do exercises Every day using a fountain pen.  Unfortunately the exercises and the fountain pen itself were not designed for left handed people such as my self.  I always go bad scores on my papers because a leftie smears the still wet ink as they move across the page.  To this day I still wish I could use a nice fountain pen with out making a mess.

2 hours ago, Rapid Roger said:

I'll bet you carry a pocket watch with a fob in your vest pocket too don't you?

Nope... This is my watch. Bell & Ross BR01-96 

10402891_10209254184899842_6125616475221

2 hours ago, Tom Crawford said:

Damn, I had no idea they are still made.  Checked on Amazon and found many, ranging form $12 to $318.  

And right up from there... If you are new to writing with a fountain pen, a Lamy Safari is in the $30 range, and it a damn decent pen. 

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

It just looks like a plastic tube. Which end do you write with ? Post a picture with the nib exposed.

I'll post one tonight. :) 

2 minutes ago, weithman5 said:

when I was in residency, one of the attendings signed his scripts with a fountain pen.  He claimed it was a very sensual experience. uhhh, okay

That's part of it... It is a better experience than scratching your call sign with a bic. 

4 hours ago, Chet K. said:

I am jealous Mel.

When I was in elementary school in the early 60's we had penmanship class called the Palmer Method and had to do exercises Every day using a fountain pen.  Unfortunately the exercises and the fountain pen itself were not designed for left handed people such as my self.  I always go bad scores on my papers because a leftie smears the still wet ink as they move across the page.  To this day I still wish I could use a nice fountain pen with out making a mess.

I remember the Palmer method.  Up until 4th grade we each had a cheap fountain pen and, believe it or not, an ink well.  And yes, there was always one kid that try to drink the ink.