Bar too

T2B0723

I am building a bar top for a local brewery (light commercial) - staining and sealing. They do not want epoxy or thick urethane. I am thinking about using a few coats of Danish put I wanted another opinion. 

Grateful for your thougts

Aaron 

Danish oil will provide very little protection, but it's easy to repair/refinish. If they regularly lightly sand the stained/worn areas & reapply it should work well.

A few light coats of urethane will look great & provide more protection, but require lots more work to maintain.

I agree with them not wanting epoxy or other thick finish though. Might as well just use plastic fake wood, cause that's what it would look like.

An oil or "butcher block" treatment would be fine if you were leaving it natural wood but you mentioned staining. Danish oil will need to be lightly sanded and re applied but it will achieve that well used patina. If they want less maintainence then you need to use a film forming coating. A that point the tougher the coating the less scratching and wear , but it's going to be a thicker finish.

Welcome to dancing on a knife edge to please a client !