Hello from Manhattan!

WoodenBones

Hey there, my name's Brian. I'm a musician by trade but have had a hankering for chopping, sawing, and splitting wood for the past year. Every one of my friends has told me how crazy it is to have a woodshop in New York City, but I am here to prove them wrong!

Just finishing up my first workbench that's literally within drooling distance of my bed (murphy bed is definitely a project soon).

I'm very new to woodworking, but very eager to learn. Most of my stuff is hand tool based obviously. Not much space for a table saw...yet. If anyone's in the New York City boroughs, or nearby in NJ/CT, I'd like to meet up and learn a thing or two.

By day, I'm a musician in the New York City Ballet orchestra, so if you're a musician, that's a plus!

Welcome Bones,

Even if you don't play a wind instrument, you still need lungs ... if your workbench is going to be that close to your bed, then make sure you invest in a good vacuum and an air-filter ... even hand-tools can put out plenty of dust, and you don't want to be breathing it in your sleep.

welcome bones.  I was thinking,  if your  bench is by the bed,  you may be able to use a tablesaw as a kitchen table. 

Also you should look up some maker spaces. They have them all over NYC. It's pretty much a shop you can rent time in my the hour and they provide a lot of tools