Box for Mother in law

shaneymack

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

I made this little box fory MIL for Mothers day. She just arrived tonight for the weekend. I had made her another one which was almost ready on mothers day but messed something up and in a fit of rage cut it in half on the bandsaw......one day ill mature. Untill then, here is take two

Simple little box but fun to build. Honduran mahogany, birdseye maple, ebony pull with brass pins to secure it to lid. Three coats of ars which I will never do again in my life for a box.

Basic construction- Mitered corners with faux dovetail birdseye splines. Solid bottom that sits proud to give a nice shadow line. Birdseye top that sits in a rabbet.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ok..  First things first..  Beautiful box!  

Second..  Would love to hear the story behind the "fit of rage"...lol  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt! ;)

Third..  What went wrong with the ARS that turned you off?

• Like 2

Ok..  First things first..  Beautiful box!  

Second..  Would love to hear the story behind the "fit of rage"...lol  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Third..  What went wrong with the ARS that turned you off?

Thanks Kev. Well the last box was totally different. It had a frame and panel lid. The panel was laminated jacaranda and birdseye. When i raised the panel i revealed the birdseye a bit on the edges. It was pretty cool. The box was made of jacarada (bolivian rosewood- faux rosewood ) and it had a mitered birdseye lining on the interior to brighten up the inside and give a place for the lid to sit. When i was friction fitting my last piece of birdseye for the lining the miter opened up on tje box a bit. I lost my freakin mind, flipped on the bandsaw and cut it in half. Then i went to the wood burning stove and lit it on fire. I was tired, it was late and the whole build was challenging. That bolivian rosewood crap was absolutely insane to shoot on my shooting board. After no more than 10 passes my blade was fried. So lots of sharpening and I wore through my palm from how hard this was to shoot. Ebony was a breeze to shoot compared to this stuff. Anyway, all to say, that box needed to die. I was so happy watching it burn. My wife walked by says, "now you're burning it?" As if cutting it in half wasnt enough. I was like, "yup". She just laughed and walked away as I enjoyed the fire. True story.

I bought a gallon of becker acroma solvent based pre cat 25° sheen the other day since its summer I can spray outdoors. I planned to use it on this box. It has been too cold/damp out to spray, i didnt want to risk blushing. I would have had a nicer result (imo nothing beats solvent pre cat) and 3 coats would have been 30 mins max. Don't get me wrong, ars is one of the best for a hand finish but I much prefer Lacquer. Quick, easy, beautiful.

I've always said that if you're willing to toss it on the fire, you'll never make a mistake..  Thanks for proving that

Beautiful job on the box!

Haha! You're right. I have scrapped many things in my life and started over because i wasnt happy. I could never have a house, reno, furniture, box whatever I build not be to my liking and leave it like that. Not saying id burn a house down that I built because 1- I'd get fired and 2- probably a criminal record but I'd make it right =)

Another nice box Shane. Now the wife and mother in law both owe you a lot of uninterrupted shop time. 

Thanks Bryan. The mil is here this weekend helping me with the kids because the wife is at the spa untill sunday. Monday is a holiday here so hopefully a full day in the shop !! Gotta get that tool chest outta here ! Too many projects, so little time.

Beautiful box Shane! I like the way the lid sits proud. Some things were meant to be and had the other one worked, we'd never been able to see this one. And I haven't had a temper tantrum in a long time and am way over due. Thanks for the encouragement?.

• Like 1

Beautiful box Shane! I like the way the lid sits proud. Some things were meant to be and had the other one worked, we'd never been able to see this one. And I haven't had a temper tantrum in a long time and am way over due. Thanks for the encouragement?.

Thanks Ken! You're totally right. I like this box better and I don't regret destroying the last one. Sometimes ya just gotta break somethin! Please don't be encouraged by my reckless behaviour....:)

beautiful all the way around shane, great choice of woods and the fit makes it look like they grew that way, my wife gave me "the look" when i took a hatchet to a box i was making and threw it in our fire pit a while back, felt good to punish that piece for being bad

• Like 2

beautiful all the way around shane, great choice of woods and the fit makes it look like they grew that way, my wife gave me "the look" when i took a hatchet to a box i was making and threw it in our fire pit a while back, felt good to punish that piece for being bad

Thanks a lot Dave,I was hoping id mellow out with age!!

Nice job, Shane. Much better to start over, that to be like my cheapskate self, and keep fixing mistakes until the box is more glue than wood. I bet your MIL loves it!

Thanks a lot Dave,I was hoping id mellow out with age!!

Nice job, Shane. Much better to start over, than to be like my cheapskate self, and keep fixing mistakes until the box is more glue than wood. I bet your MIL loves it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...