Sweet sounds of another meltdown

Cliff

Hello, this is the thread where I don't think I have a question because I'm pretty sure the answer is: buy a new motor for the jointer, replace the pully, set screw, key and bearings. Again. Cept first time for the motor replacement. I was really hoping to get more than 2 months of usability out of this thing. 

I'm guessing that squealing is a bearing that is bad, and since bearings don't go bad in 2 months unless the motor is bad.. etc etc. Which I already knew it was on it's way out. When I run wood over it, it slows and almost stops, and the squealing is super loud. Very similar to a thread posted a while back:

It's a shame. But looks like I'm out of commission again. I sorta got my counter tops glued in time, but the joint wasn't perfect. 

Anyway.. the video-

What that looked like to me was the squeaking only happened when just starting up. If the bearing was bad the squeaking would never stop and frankly it wouldn't sound like that. Maybe its a sound quality thing but really that sounds like belt squeaking to me which if you had a worn belt or worn pulley would cause all of these problems. Also possible you have the wrong belt for the pulley size. 

I never replaced the belt, Cliff.  It's original...but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

That sounds like it sounded when I sold it to you.  Not sure what your step-dad did to calm it down, but clearly it's back.  Hate to say it but I think it's the motor bearing.

3 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

^ not a bad idea at all.  I know it's out of warranty but they might take pity on you. 

Knowing that you bought a Shelix head and got the jointer around it for free,  sounds like the cost of doing business. 

For sure. I'll whine about it and all that but nothing is really unexpected at this point.

After a closer look today, we discovered that the pulley is working itself off. The belt is rubbing against something, you can actually see where it is touching. 

I mean, it's just a symptom of a bad motor, or, a bad motor + insanely difficult to set everything up perfect. I want to just buy a new motor, but my stepfather thinks we can get more life out of it. I can probably do both, order a new motor and tinker with this one and next time it gets stupid just swap it out. 

Also I take back what I said about bearings from Grizzly. I bought them through amazon, using a 3rd party seller that everyone seems to recommend. The rest of the parts are Grizzly. The belt does still look fine though, but won't be for long with it rubbing on something.

Cliff - check to make sure the shaft of the motor is parallel to the shaft of the cutter head. If it isn't, it can cause the pulleys to work loose. If you end up with bad bearings, they are very easy to change, even on the motor. You can listen to the bearings by taking a long screwdriver and touching the tip to the bearing housing. Touch the other end of the screwdriver to your ear and you will hears the balls in the bearing. They should sound smooth. Gritty noises mean a bad bearing.

Buy good sealed bearings and machined pulleys from your local bearing house. You will get better quality and price than from Grizzly.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2016 at 10:40 PM, Robby W said:

You can listen to the bearings by taking a long screwdriver and touching the tip to the bearing housing. Touch the other end of the screwdriver to your ear and you will hears the balls in the bearing. They should sound smooth. Gritty noises mean a bad bearing.

I remember the first time i saw my dad do this while working on the car when I was a kid. I asked him what the screwdriver was saying. 

• Like 2