Bad Job Yesterday

Tom King

I had to bury a horse. It's not a pleasant job any kind of way, but what made this one worse that it came up so fast yesterday. The Vet had given her 50/50 chance a few weeks back, and she looked like she was going to make it, but went downhill quickly.

My Wife called me at lunch. We made a mad dash to get the jobsite shut down for the weekend. Closest mini-excavator I could find was 25 miles from home in the opposite direction than the 35 miles to where we were working from home.

Had to unload 80 1x8x8 Cypress off the trailer. One lug broke in the plug on the truck plugging in the trailer. Heavy rain predicted last night. No choice but go get the 8,000 lb. mini-excavator with no brakes and no lights on the trailer, but new brakes in the truck.

Tractor with loader slightly disassembled in the shop. No choice but to go dig the hole a few hundred yards from the house and barn, and walk the excavator back to carry the Mare with another slow trip back to the hole. Got hole filled. It takes a big hole for a horse. Loaded excavator. Getting dark.

Got the machine back. Keys in drop box. Back home without being stopped about 9:30 to quarter to 10. Walking back to the house from the shed with the truck pulled in it, with trailer sticking out still hooked up, it started to rain. Would not have been able to do it in heavy rain.

She was a great horse for us. One of two Arab mares accepted in the German Oldenburg Verband at her inspection. We still have two of her offspring here, and we feel really lucky to have them. She was not allowed to suffer any more than what we thought necessary to make sure.

• Like 1

Thats really sad. Sorry to hear that, Tom.  My wife has been riding since she is four and probably likes horses better more people. Right now she has a 4 year old Holsteiner from Germany, fantastic mare. I can understand how devastating this must be....

Thanks.  We're okay.  We done it way too many times.  I wish that I could have gotten her to the graveyard where all the other animals are buried, but it's a quarter mile from the house, and with the tractor out of commission there was just no way with the slow walking excavator.

There is a gate out of the lower pasture that used to lead to riding trails we had in the woods.  Hurricane Isabel devastated those woods, and we haven't used them since.  The trail had grown up with small trees.  I had to clear a spot big enough not only for the grave, but for room to work the excavator.

Thanks.  We're okay.  We done it way too many times.  I wish that I could have gotten her to the graveyard where all the other animals are buried, but it's a quarter mile from the house, and with the tractor out of commission there was just no way with the slow walking excavator.

There is a gate out of the lower pasture that used to lead to riding trails we had in the woods.  Hurricane Isabel devastated those woods, and we haven't used them since.  The trail had grown up with small trees.  I had to clear a spot big enough not only for the grave, but for room to work the excavator.

Are your horses on your property or you board them?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Animals become such a important part of our lives. I am sorry for your loss. Having to cope with so many difficulties to give her a final resting place must have been so stressful. Thank you for sharing with us here. This is a great community and being part of it does enrich our lives.

Thanks Tom, for doing it right. Too many in this heavily Amish community act with hate and disregard. 

For those of us that don't live in that area or near the Amish. What exactly does this mean? Amish are horse haters?

I hate what you're going through, I have two wolves that are 13 years old, one's going deaf, the other has hip problems, they're near the end of their life span in captivity. This is going to destroy me when  I lose them! And it's not that far away!

5 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

For those of us that don't live in that area or near the Amish. What exactly does this mean? Amish are horse haters?

Many, not all, do not regard any animal highly. This can lead young men to the kind of abuse common to the callous. 

Many, not all, do not regard any animal highly. This can lead young men to the kind of abuse common to the callous. 

Interesting. I would have thought the total opposite of them. Especially seeing as they actually use these animals as a part of their lifestyle.

10 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Interesting. I would have thought the total opposite of them. Especially seeing as they actually use these animals as a part of their lifestyle.

It's the shift of the IN Amish. Bishops out here have allowed work in factories leading many to hire drivers rather than even buggy driving. So sorry to derail Tom. Still thankful for those who do it the way I find to be right. 

I appreciate all the sympathy.  We've done it enough times in the 36 years we've been here with a lot of animals that we could handle the losing part not too badly.  The bad thing was a normally well planned out in advance job, when your Wife calls you and tells you to come home and bury a horse, becomes a race against time to do everything in a way that had no planning, and had to be improvised on the fly.

We have an animal graveyard, with a hole ready (with a safety ramp out for any animal falling in it), but that spot is close to a quarter mile from the barn and house.  The tractor I would normally carry the horse with is in the shop with the Reverser Control Valve taken apart, because no tractor repair place around here has anyone smart enough to fix one, to be worked on in my spare time. 

I didn't want to drag Flair that far, so long story short, it turned into an ordeal, and I wasn't much good for anything yesterday after the 7 hour scramble the evening before to get the gruesome job done.

The night I carried the excavator back, I didn't take time to stop and top off the fuel tank like I knew I was supposed to.  I knew they'd bill me for it.  The invoice came today.  I owe them $8.00 for diesel fuel.

Just in case anyone is curious, the smallest time period they rent one for is a day, for which you are allowed to put 8 hours on the hour meter.  This job took 2.3 hours, according to the invoice that came today, with probably half of that walking it back and forth from the barn to the grave site.  The cost per day is $176.00.  I don't know what they charge for delivery, but you can get a lot of work done in a day with one.  This is what I did for digging house footings in the years that I built new houses, and I occasionally will go get one just for jobs here at home.

Normally, I'd try to get my money's worth and do as much as possible around the farm.  That was not a concern this time.

Here's the machine-a John Deere 35D.  It seems a bit larger in person than it looks in the pictures. 

https://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/construction/non_current_products/excavators/35D_50D.pdf

The machine did have a thumb on the bucket, which makes pulling up small trees a lot easier.