Scribing

Sond sd though you want a shelf to fit tight into an irregular three-sided space.  I will assume the rear of the space is narrower than the from so that the shelf can slip in(?).  As for methods to match the shape, the cardboard template idea would be my choice; two overlapping pieces, each shorter than the shelf, spread to touch the left and right sides and mark/trim till they fit flush.  Tape at the seam and transfer the pattern to the shelf.  Jigsaw, bandsaw, router and template or other means to cut the shape into each end of the shelf.

I use a couple of methods:

1. Two overlapping pieces of cardboard, one scribed to the left and one to the right, then tape them together to make the whole template. 

2. Cut strips of cardboard about 4" wide (I usually rip them at the table saw for ease of cutting) The strips can be scribed to the deviations in the wall and then taped or hot glued together.

Method #2 is what the counter top guys have done for years except they used the plastic corrugated material like cardboard. Now they come in with a laser and scan the room which can be loaded into the CNC machines for the perfect fit. 

Both methods work quite well. 

One of the big challenges, is that the opening is usually pinched at the front end and at the back corners. Even if the framing is square, there is a thickness build up on the inside corners from sheetrock taping and mud. On the outside corners, the outside corner bead plus mud also creates the same problem. 

So the challenge is getting a clean fit without damaging the walls too much depending on your situation. 

EPSON001.jpg

Just a heads up: Costco and Sam's Club are two great places to get sheets of cardboard for free. If you ask it is likely they will let you take the cardboard slip sheets that come between the layers of product on pallets. 

You will find that some slip sheets are in really good condition depending on what product they are between. Slip sheets between canned soup, not so good. Slip sheets between things like cereal boxes can be really good.