Gift box~Bocote & Lace

davewyo

Thanks gang!

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

awesome work dave, what are you going to use it for? and while i'm here, is lacewood hard to work, because it looks like it might be hard to work

I'm gifting it to my bosses. Last summer I was making one for my brother's wedding and each evening at dusk my boss would be walking his dog and would see me working in the shop. Curiosity finally got the best of him and he stopped in to see what on earth I was doing. I could see right away that he liked it. Two evenings later he stopped in with his wife to show her what I was making. Every year I buy them a holiday gift, so it was a no-brainer that I would make another box. Right now I'm working on a Chechen and Maple box which is the same design. Whichever one comes out better I'll give to them.

The Lacewood is about half as soft as White Oak, so it is fairly easy to cut and chisel. But the ray flecks are a different density than the "background" wood, so it can tear out something awful when you plane it. The straight knives on my planer need to be new-ish or it will tear out in chunks. Helical cutters would be a big help I imagine. You have to set up a hand plane with the chip breaker real close to the edge and have your mouth adjusted as tight as possible.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

How did you do the design in the top?

I use a straight bit in my palm router with the edge guide. I extend the fence on the edge guide with some curly maple scrap. (It has to be curly maple ;)) I make one pass with the 3/32" bit on the lid and on a scrap. Then adjust the fence to get the width of my inlay strip and test on the scrap until it's just right for the second pass. Here's the set up for the lid I'm working on:

http://IMG_1580_zpsvawjxdu4.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Dave, that's beautiful! I really like the way you rotated the lacewood around the central panel. It makes the figure even more vibrant.

Ross, I thought so too at first glance, but I believe it's one solid piece and not veneered? Great looking box Dave!

• Like 1

That's a fine looking box. Love the wood choices and the execution is outstanding!

Are the sides all one piece Dave, or did you rip and glue the strips to the sides? It appears as though you ripped them along with the lid strip strips to wrap the grain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Dave, that's beautiful! I really like the way you rotated the lacewood around the central panel. It makes the figure even more vibrant.

32 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Ross, I thought so too at first glance, but I believe it's one solid piece and not veneered? Great looking box Dave!

Oh, I misunderstood.

Yes, the lid is one piece. The medullary rays just happen to be in that arrangement. It is difficult to find a stick of Lacewood where the flecks are really uniform throughout the width of the board.

2 minutes ago, Janello said:

That's a fine looking box. Love the wood choices and the execution is outstanding!

Are the sides all one piece Dave, or did you rip and glue the strips to the sides? It appears as though you ripped them along with the lid strip strips to wrap the grain. 

Thanks john.

I make the (3 corner match) mitered box as usual and cut a groove for the lid on all four pieces. Glue the box together. Then with a combo of a dado set on the TS and a flush trim bit in the router table I cut the front and back away. Then the key is to match in a piece for the lid that will give some sort of a grain match on both the front/back and on the top. I really concentrate on the front/top strip's grain match and don't worry as much for the back.

42 minutes ago, Janello said:

Did you mean to say groove for bottom or am I really that lost here? 

Where does the flush trim come into play...what operation is that doing?

My bad. I should have written rabbet. On the box sides I cut a groove for the bottom and a rabbet for the lid. Then for the front and the back I cut out where the lid is going to sit. That can be done before or after the box is glued together but it's less delicate if it's glued up. I use a dado to clear out most of the waste, just running the box upside down on the TS. I don't cut all the way to my line because the dado set makes those grooves. So then I set the box on its side and run it along the fence of the router table with a flush trim bit in place. Of course there's some chiseling to do to square the corners.

So here is one I did before gluing up. You can see the sides and then the next step on the front/back pieces.

http://IMG_0914_zpstnc3yjmp.jpg

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

And Brusso 95* hinges as well?

You know it. I have been really happy with Brusso's little brass beauties.

48 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Just curious Dave, is there a reason for the three corner match and not a four corner match?

I guess it boils down to finances. The 4 corner match would require 6/4" lumber and a resaw. I look for a single 40" to 50" board about 4" wide that has attractive grain. If it happens that the grain at each end of the board looks similar that's all good, but I put the unmatched corner at the back of the box and I don't look at it too much so my OCD doesn't kick in.

10 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Wow, I would never have guessed the lid is solid, the top side looks very different from the bottom side.

Yeah, because it's quarter sawn the ray flecks change quite a lot as you thin the board. When making a book match you have to take off the least possible bit while cleaning up the saw marks left over from the resaw.

• Like 2

Beautifully done.  The geometric pattern on the top really sets this box apart and the materials are top notch.  I enjoy boxes since they let you show your skill on a small stage, can be a challenge to make different and interesting and are most often really treasured by those who receive them.  I think you hit all the marks on this one.

• Like 1