Sold the Craftsman...

collinb

Congrats on the impending upgrade..  The first one looks like the better of the deals.

Or you could pop up and see Mel to buy his.  I've used it and it's a good saw.

I'm assuming that the prices listed in each are roughly what your budget is?  

Congrats on the impending upgrade..  The first one looks like the better of the deals.

That's about the budget.

This one is a bit of a drive but grabs my attention

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/tls/5555669998.html

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I have forgotten Mel's location. Was that St Louis area?

1 minute ago, collinb said:

That's about the budget.

This one is a bit of a drive but grabs my attention

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/tls/5555669998.html

That looks like the same older Grizzly 1023 that my buddy has.  Good saw but, no riving knife.  My buddy uses the micro jig inserts and they seem to work pretty well.  Also, not sure what your power options are but, that one is 220..

Yea, Mel is a about an hour from Milwaukee. 

As much as I would love to go up there and get a few pounds of fresh curds even that's not enough for such a drive.

To think I was in Palatine last weekend...

1 minute ago, collinb said:

As much as I would love to go up there and get a few pounds of fresh curds even that's not enough for such a drive.

To think I was in Palatine last weekend...

Wherever the hell that is ;)

Yea, it's hard to put on a lot of miles for a three hundred dollar saw.  I don't blame you.

Congratulations Colin!

I had an old hand-me-down Craftsman saw for years. The fence was a nightmare and the power was insufficient. I kept using it for the longest time because my budget was tight. Eventually I upgraded, but I didn't go far enough. Now I'm saving to upgrade to a cabinet saw. Given the choice again, I would try to make a more significant upgrade.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The second saw is no better than what you had really. I probably wouldn't even consider it. I'd try and find something with a riving knife.

I wouldn't consider it for that price, and certainly would opt for a riving knife, but that older Ridgid's fence is the same as my old saw's.  It locks in the front and the back, it's solid.  I'd wager that side by side it is a much better saw than the one he is replacing.

Of the ones listed I'd go for the first Ridgid, unless you have the means to wrestle the big Grizzly.

That TS3650 also differs none from the Craftsman wrt blade alignment.

Guts pictured here: https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/tools/power-tools/44259-rigid-ts3650-assembly-and-alignment

Three bolts on each, front and back. Break them loose a bit, tap the mechanism into alignment, tighten.  Same underneath access and energy involved.  It also is really no improvement at all. It's not a hybrid. Just a newer belt drive.

That one hybrid also does not take a riving knife though there are adaptable ones available for it.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'd still go for the first Rigid. $350 is far to much for that Craftsmsn / Steel City saw, with no fence or miter gauge.

I gave it the nickel test with it sitting on a wood pallet. It passed.

I offered $200 and would go up but the seller won't budge -- at all.

Yes, the cost of a fence, blade guard, splitter/knife does add up.  Although I have a NIB SawStop contractor saw fence sitting here -- better than nothing.

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'll go along with the cabinet saw crowd, but if mobility is important at all, you should be pretty happy with that first Rigid.

Agreed. The mobility on the Ridgid is great.

$400 is too much for that used saw though. A new one is around $550 or so... The Ridgid on CL is a very old model, and is the one most people refer to when stating the Ridgid saws are troublesome.