12 1/2" planer

Glen Bridges

I'm in the market for a planer. I've been looking around and all I'm finding in stores are 12 1/2" planers. I was wanting a 13" planer. I wanted to start my next project this week, but if I have to order it I'm gonna lose a few days. This is just a hobby, not counting the price. Is losing a 1/2" worth getting it now. All opinions welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with all of the above.  It is unlikely that you will miss the 1/2".  The DeWalt 735 is a great machine.  It has a fan the expels the chips thru a 4" diameter port so that even without a dust collector or shop vac you can direct the chips into a bucket.  Saves a lot of cleanup time.

• Like 1

Uhhh....is the 735 not a 13 inch planer?  ;)

I have the 734, which is 12 1/2 inches.  It's certainly good enough and the extra 1/2" doesn't make a difference to me.  The dust fan in the 735 would be nice though, with the 734 not hooked up to a proper dust collector, and only to my shop vac, it continuously shoots chips out of the infeed side.  The 735 is just an over all better machine from everything I've read.

If we're purely talking about size though, 12 1/2 vs. 13 inches isn't enough of a difference to factor in, in my opinion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Glen Bridges said:

Thanks for everyone's input. You will be glad to know that I found a 735 on CL today. It came with the extension tables and a extra set of blades for $400!!! Still looks new and is in great shape. It was from a retiring woodworker. I can't wait to play with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome deal!  Congrats!