FIRST Drill Press and Bandsaw Size?

efloor

What size Drill Press and Band Saw Do I need? I really have no experience with these tools, but am looking for more precision in my shop.

Looking to add these tools to my growing 150sqft shop, so I am limited on space.

Started WW 2yrs ago, constantly upgrading from diy to Woodworking quality tools. 

Also, recommendation on an economy all-purpose bandsaw blade.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik

Fayetteville, NC

Welcome to the forums.

As usual, budget and workflow determine the right answer to your questions.  Also, what do you build?  Are you doing large furniture pieces or cutting boards or something else or everything...  bla bla bla..

Suggest a full size stand up drill press and a 14" band saw.  From there, it depends on your budget.  However, with only 150 ft of shop space, I'm not sure where you'll put them ;)

• Like 2

I agreed with Tiods on the drill press.  A good bench model is still so heavy that you don't really want to plan moving it around.  Wheels are your friend in the 150 Sq. Ft. shop.  Just a thought - The drill press and band saw could sit side by side very close to each other most of the time with the drill press to the right of the band saw - just lower the drill press table below the level of the band saw table when ripping longer pieces on the band saw.  I have done that with other tools.  I place my jointer up on 4" blocks so that longer pieces would extend over the table saw.  I call it the Rule of Overlapping Outfeed Spaces.

• Like 1

i have the skil drill press. sits on a bench and is fine.  I would agree with a 14 inch bandsaw also.

if you had more floor space then I would entertain a bigger drill press. mine is fine and was inexpensive. but it would be nice to have one that is stand a lone just to work around it easier

6 minutes ago, efloor said:

I mostly build furniture for my family and the never-ending list of shop projects.  

I am transitioning to actually making finer pieces with more accuracy/efficiency.

Sick of Jigs and Jig Saws:)

Don't get sick of them, you'll still need them, and you'll build more jigs and more jigs!  It really never ends! 

Depending on your budget, personally I'd spend the majority of money towards a nicer bandsaw.  I've got a bench top drill press from harbor freight I got used for $40, it's done a good job for what I need it for.  If you have the funds then def get a full size drill press, the porter cable is suppose to be a good bang for your buck.  Whatever you do don't get a bench top bandsaw.

I'll also vote that if you don't have the budget for a decent version of both, spend it on the bandsaw and continue with other means of making holes for awhile.  Drill presses are a sore spot for me as it seems you can't get a decent one for under a couple of grand (not to mention some $1200-$1400 ones that are no better than some $400 models where it counts).

A decent quality 14" bandsaw will do more for you per space occupied that almost anything else besides a router. Please tell us your budget so we can answer more specifically.

It would have been nice to start with tools that I would not have had to upgrade myself when I started but that wasnt in the cards..From the table saw, jointer,planer,bandsaw and more..Id get a 14in bandsaw and floor model drill press if you can afford..

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

You MUST have at least a 24" radial head drill press, and a 36" bandsaw, or you lose your woodworker card!

?

Seriously, it all depends on the projects you want to tackle. I get by fine (so far) with a 10" bandsaw and a cheap benchtop drill press. Subject to change, without notice.

I had a radial drill press. That thing was such a pain!

• 4 weeks later...

On the bandsaw front, the bottom line is that you’re always going to have to weight things up and decide what is best for you based on your particular needs, what kind of woodworking projects your’re planning to undertake, plus what you are able to afford. 

A benchtop bandsaw is great is your work is intricate in nature and you're short in terms of space in your workshop, as you can easily pack it away when not in use.  If you do a good deal of cutting and resawing, then you may want to go for something bigger and more powerful.

In my opinion, the most versatile bandsaw is the 14-inch.....able to deal with the intricate cutting work and deal with most of your more challenging resawing work.

Hope that helps.  Good luck in your power tool quest!!