Can you give me guidance on this old Unisaw?

pridmore

All-

I am scheduled to go look at the following Unisaw in the morning:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/hvo/5585895137.html

At $600, is this a decent value, assuming that it does, indeed, "work great?" It's vintage is 1994 and the table appears to have a lot of surface rust, but if the guts are good and the rust is not deep, is $600 fair?

I was planning on buying a new table saw this year with a $2k - $2.5k budget, but if this can get me another 10 years...perfect. It will be an upgrade from a crappy PC270TS from Lowes.

http://www.portercable.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=24027

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Andy

If you plan on actually doing this hobby for the next 10 years and have the budget, go buy the new saw!  Buy once, cry once, and enjoy your time working on wood projects rather than tools!

That saw in the ad looked like it needed a lot of work.  Also, 120 for his 10 year old dado stack that got "dirty" in storage was odd.

30 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

But be aware that some parts may be impossible to find since the new owners of Delta no longer support the older machines.

I think that's all I needed to hear...

It didn't take a lot to be scared off of that ledge.

Thanks for the replies

What!?! Go run that unisaw and then buy it. Cripes, some surface rust is scaring everyone off? Parts availability is easy peasy. Joe in New England will hook you up with just about anything you need. Furthermore, there's not much you will ever need to replace. Belts and bearings are consumables that you can get anywhere for the next century. The only troubling part with the unisaw is the motor mount is whacky and unique to the saw. Know who copied the unisaw? Grizzly. The motor off the grizzly 1023 fits the unisaw and I assume 98% of the parts fit the unisaw too. We're talking about a saw that was in production virtually unchanged for 60 friggin years. Oh and the fact that baldor and leeson specifically make motors for the unisaw eliminate delta out of the picture. Unless you drop the unisaw off the back of a truck and completely destroy it, you should never have to go to delta for parts.  I own a unisaw and had the thing stripped completely down. It is an incredibly simple machine. Don't break a trunnion, and everything will be just fine. That's such a no brainer of a deal for me, but I understand how risk adverse some people are. I see very little risk in that machine. 

I use a saw like that every day.  I prefer a left tilt, but right tilt is fine for most things.  Mine just came available when I needed one, and was close by.

Just noticed the price on the one near DC was just lowered to 1k.  Left tilt with some extra stuff, and a Biesmeyer fence.

I love both of my UniSaws 1984 and early 90s. Had issues getting factory parts for something on the older saw when I found out that the new owners had scrapped the entire parts inventory to avoid servicing the old machines. I came up with a workaround, just can't remember what it was. Needed a locking knob that goes in the middle of the tilt or height hand wheels , no more factory parts available but I found an aftermarket one. Love the saws but the confidence in the brand is slipping.

And I think that's what you should expect moving forward. There are so many unisaws out there that someone will eventually pick up making those parts. I agree that delta sucks, and has sucked. Thankfully, you shouldn't need anything from delta unless you do something really really stupid. I.e. Drop the saw off the tailgate. Other than that belts, bearings and everything else is available from other sources. Even the example of your locking knob, i personally only have one lock knob on my saw and I keep it on the bevel wheel. Honestly, I don't think those lock knobs do a damn thing other than prefer you from accidentally turning a wheel with your knee. Plenty of aftermarket fences if you break yours. A machinist can make you a new arbor for a fair price if you bend or destroy yours somehow. I don't know what else you would wear down or break that you would ever need delta for 0-20 years from now. I'm a big fan of the older table saws, and I have a lot of faith in the unisaw after working on several top to bottom.