In my time of grief, I turned to the shop.

If only Hodor had a wedge like that handy...

7 hours ago, Cliff said:

That was actually the most clever thing I've seen done in this show/books. 

I agree.  I'm actually surprised that this came directly from GRRM, because it seems like a hard thing to explain in a book, but was very effective on the show.  It will be interesting to see how he writes it up when (if) he gets to it.

3 hours ago, Dknapp34 said:

If only Hodor had a wedge like that handy...

I agree.  I'm actually surprised that this came directly from GRRM, because it seems like a hard thing to explain in a book, but was very effective on the show.  It will be interesting to see how he writes it up when (if) he gets to it.

Heh I'll never see how he writes it. I have only read 1-3. Back when they were first released, about 15 years ago. And all the things that make it an invigorating show to watch - I HATE to read. So I quit that series at the Red Wedding. I was so annoyed! Watching that play out on the screen brought back my anger so I think I'm not yet ready to try again. 

I do have to complain a little about the whole sequence of events. By introducing Bran Stark's memory time travel thing you recreate present day by modifying memories of the past. Theoretically making Hodor normal up until they had to escape, but showing him as "Hodor" the whole time. 

It makes perfect sense to me. Touching the past can screw up the present.  Brand worg'd into both hodor in the present and Willis in the past. Seeing his future and need to "hold the door" against an army of whites. That turned Willis into hodor then, the man he was today.