Hello from Nebraska

DOWORKSON

Names Jack, i'm an aircraft hydraulics mechanic by trade, interested in cabinetry. Currently in the middle of redesigning and building some new cabinets for my garage, trying to get things organized. But sense i cant stick with one project for too long i have now started getting into building my own hand planes, mostly research and planning at this point but....i have some wood from a couple trees i cut down in my yard that were already dead so i have no idea what kind of wood it is or if its hard enough to use for what im doing, but it has a lot of nice coloration, so im working on a few pieces of that right now.

If any body can help identify this stuff id appreciate it, or if there is some place else i should be asking that please let me know.

Thanks and i look forward to learning from some more experienced folks.

wood 1.jpg

wood 2.jpg

wood 3.jpg

wood 4.jpg

Welcome !

It is hard to tell from those photos but if it's maple and it was standing dead then the dark streaks could be spalting, which is one of the early stages of fungal rot. That could mean that it's not hard enough to be used to make plane bodies. Still might be good for a decorative raised panel. But this is all conjecture , I could be way off base !

A few well lit clear photos of a planed smooth board and a clean sharp close up photo of a highly sanded end grain will get you opinions from a lot more people .

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

That is definitely not maple. I'm not familiar with cottonwood trees but the name does lead to some conclusions .

If your conclusions lead to the fact that it is a crap tree that grows like a weed, sheds it's branchs in a mild breeze, breaks in half during a storm, and will attract every bug known to man, then you are correct.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Seems like I had read that somewhere but my clues were "cotton" and "wood" did not seem promising. Is it native or invasive ?

I grew up in the foot hills of Colorado, (plains mostly) everybody used the trees for wind breaks, which is kind of funny, because that is exactly what is does.  No clue if it is native or not.

Eastern and swamp cottonwood are both native here. They grow like telephone poles to 80' or more with smooth bark until quite old. This means 40' or so off the ground of a mature tree the bark is all pale and smooth. Branching is quite thin. Seeds fall shrouded in cottony material and here they float like snow. The cotton clogs window screens AC condensers, radiators etc. When I mowed full time it was wise to blow the radiator clear twice a day. The wood is soft. Without research I would say like white pine. Fallen branches are common, but nothing that cannot be raked easily. Next time I go to my dad's house I'll try to get some pics. 

So counting the rings on the logs i have it seems the tree was about 22 years old, and is about 12" across, just guessing but it couldn't have been more than 50' tall when i cut it down, does this still seem on par for being a cotton wood tree, reading the links that were posted those get between 80-150' tall and 5' across. how old it a tree that size. I will say that it wasn't a strong tree because a few years ago the trunk split down the middle and the previous home owner put a huge bolt through the trunk to keep it together, which is why you can see the rot in the center of the logs i'm working on.

This is an impossible question to answer. Available light will determine a variance across many species. Open field white oaks top out at near 80' here while down in virgin forest, the first branches are at 80'. The same species have dramatically different growth patterns based on how they need to reach to get sunlight. 

I will say those hairy stripy chunks look more like elm to me. 

Well these two were basically alone with nothing around them to fight for sunlight. i understand that getting this question answered definitively is pretty impossible, but your guys guess will be a heck of a lot closer then mine. I just really like the color in the wood, so id like to use it for something, just depends on hardness as to what i will use it for.

• Like 1

The coloring in the wood you have is really attractive. 

If it  is cottonwood, the grain is typically very interwoven and not straight, which means it is not very stable. Boards tend to twist after milling. How much that would affect what you have may be different since you have smaller chunks. 

The cottonwood here in Montana tends to be a softer wood, definitely not hard like maple.