Trestle kitchen island

Just Bob

The sapele is awesome ! I agree Lacquer was the way to go. Did you use waterborne lacquer or solvent based? Pre cat? What manufacturer? Did you thin it out at all? What did you spray with?

Great job on the table Bob!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the comments.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

The sapele is awesome ! I agree Lacquer was the way to go. Did you use waterborne lacquer or solvent based? Pre cat? What manufacturer? Did you thin it out at all? What did you spray with?

Great job on the table Bob!

The lacquer was a complete fiasco.  I spent more time trying to find it than finishing!  All of the paint stores I went to either did not carry it or would only mix 5 gallons.  I went to a auto paint store positive I could find it there, and was told it was a special order product and it cost $100.00 a pint!  I ended up with Watco's brushing lacquer.  I thinned the first coat to 70/30 (thinner to lacquer) and the remaining 3 coats to 50/50.  I wanted to use pre cat, I am not sure how this is going to hold up.  For spraying a I bought a Warwick gravity fed gun at the auto paint store.  It was on sale and is a much better gun than the HF gun I used to paint a couple trucks years ago. 

Thanks all for the comments.

The lacquer was a complete fiasco.  I spent more time trying to find it than finishing!  All of the paint stores I went to either did not carry it or would only mix 5 gallons.  I went to a auto paint store positive I could find it there, and was told it was a special order product and it cost $100.00 a pint!  I ended up with Watco's brushing lacquer.  I thinned the first coat to 70/30 (thinner to lacquer) and the remaining 3 coats to 50/50.  I wanted to use pre cat, I am not sure how this is going to hold up.  For spraying a I bought a Warwick gravity fed gun at the auto paint store.  It was on sale and is a much better gun than the HF gun I used to paint a couple trucks years ago. 

Next time check here if they have a distributor near you

http://www.acromapro.com/distributor-locator?

I used to buy 5 gallons buckets from them. Now I only buy a gallon here and there and they are cool with it for most products. I just bought a gallon of the intro 25° pre cat for 60$. Self sealing, super easy to use stuff. Try it if you get a chance

Thanks, but no go.  Kev said he is able to buy gallons at Sherwin Williams, but the store I tried refused.  Seems like everybody thinks I am going to destroy the worlds climate.  Might have to find a black market supplier.:ph34r:

Thanks, but no go.  Kev said he is able to buy gallons at Sherwin Williams, but the store I tried refused.  Seems like everybody thinks I am going to destroy the worlds climate.  Might have to find a black market supplier.

By no go you mean you have no dealers near you?

With Sherwin williams it depends on the location. Some don't carry the lacquers. I called one location and they told me to try another one. I tried another and they had them.

Edit: I just got what you said....they HAD the lacquer but didn't want to open a 5g to make a 1g for you....got it.

21 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Beautiful table Bob. As the top is 24" wide, your initial boards were at least 12" wide? Did you buy them milled? I've never used sapele, great looking wood.

The top started as a rough cut 4/4 x 13"x12'.  Cut in half then skip planed it to get it kind of flat and do the grain matching.  Matched planed two  edges at the bench.  Glued it up and finished flattening both sides with a LAJ and a No. 7.  Then squared one edge and cut it to final size one the table saw and a track saw.  It is really nice wood to both look at an work.

• Like 2