Memorial Day weekend

RichardA

If you want a sad example of government neglect, accompany a friend or loved one to the VA Hospital. Although slightly better than it was 10 years ago, it's still a travesty of justice for those that risked their lives for our country.

• Like 2

I'm here today because a boy sent over to VN managed to come home. He came to one of my classes one day to present on patriotism. He brought a photo album that had a post it note on every photo that had a person in it who did not come home. There were no pages free of post it notes. 

• Like 2

Kind of on the flip side I have a nephew that just graduated and was commissioned as an ensign in the Navy.  Now headed to flight training in Pensacola Fl.  He has talked about doing this since he was 9 - 10 years old.

as we all prepare for the day's events, take a look around, instead of making hot dogs and hamburgers take time to go to a national cemetery,  and reflect to all the freedoms we enjoy because of the ones who rest under these markers.   My thoughts has always been, what could have been, if these young men and women were alive today? what achievements could have they made?  Maybe this person was the one who could have stop cancer, What greatness have we squander all in the name of war. This in my eyes is the greatest sacrifice these men and women made for what they believed in, or was asked to do for one's country, Dreams never fulfilled, potential never reached, a life cut too short. For this we give them this one day of remembrance. 

• Like 1