Tablesaw Workstation

Woodenskye

I've been a member here long enough, figured it was time to start a project journal.  Well I figured I should finally get started on a few shop projects that I have been putting off way to long.  So I looked at probably every tablesaw station on the internet and decided to follow the one Laney Shaugnessy did, since we have the same saw.  Others took up to much space so the rough dimensions are 80" x 24".  So I got off to a good start over the last couple days.  I got the top and bottom frames done, skinned with 3/4 ply.  I also installed the leveling feet, but forgot to grab a photo.  Mid 90 degrees weather melted the brain a bit.  I also got the lower dividers cut they just need to be assembled.  I have attached some photos.  I am trying to use materials that I have on hand.

Some things I learned, I love using my Festools (especially the TS 55) and really dislike pocket holes or there are days that I'm not as smart as the Kreg Jig, but used since this is shop furniture.

Hope you enjoy, and hopefully I can make more progress in the next couple days and update this.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

been wanting one of those for a while woodenskye, looking forward to it. Kev, can you point me in the right direction on your build? what do i search for ect. thanks

Took me some searching as it was back in 2013..  Told you it was a while ago ;)

22 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I will be following this too.  Couple of questions, what table saw are you building this for? How do you like the  Senaca parallel quides?  They are on sale and I am tempted.

Bob

i have the Porter Cable contractor saw which I put a Vega Fence on.  I also have a cast iron router table which I will put on after I get this assembled a little bit more.

I like the Seneca parallel guides.  Once set up, they are accurate.  The only negative I have is they can be a bit finicky getting on the track, but I find easier than the Festool version. 

This is great Bryan ! Im glad you chose to do a journal, i will be following along my brotha !

So i guess the heat affected your brain to the point of grabbing a pocket hole jig instead of your domino ? What gives, fellow drinker of the delicious green brew???

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Shane.  For the top and bottom frame I used pocket holes.  For the dividers I am thinking of going with dominos, but will use pocket screws to attach top and bottom frames.  If I was able to do screwed butt joints, I would just for the speed aspect.  I really need to get this done.  It will add much needed storage. 

• Like 1

Update:  Since the rain stopped earlier than forecasted I decided to go out and do some more work on this.  So I realized that I didn't cut enough parts for the dividers, so I had to make 2 more sets, for a total of 6.  

After that was done I decided to begin assembly of the parts.  I debated using the domino, but in the end broke out the Kreg Jig.  Sorry @shaneymack, but speed was what trumped the decision.  A few photos of my assembly jig on the MFT.

After the 6 divider frames were completed, I choose 2 for the ends since they will be faced with 3/4 ply.  So I rough cut the plywood.  

I also took a photo of the leveling feet on the base.  There are 6 leveling feet on the bottom.

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend, and remember to thank those who served or are serving! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 hours ago, TIODS said:

Great progress!  Clamping ability from the MFT sure comes in handy!

Thank Kev.  Yes the MFT clamping options are great.

38 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Looking good Bryan. I like that brick wall in your shop. What are those black squares you have there?

Also good choice on the screws. Its shop furniture, I have some screws in mine as well !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you.  The black squares are the clamp it assembly squares from Rockler. They come in handy for things like I was using and will come in handy when assembling this monster.  I have 4, wish I had a few more.

http://www.rockler.com/clamp-it-assembly-square

Well went out to the shop tonight to figure some things out and found my first mistake.  I thought I bought 22" slides when I first started thinking about this, but bought 24".  Maybe I can make these work.  Just frustrated with myself for not checking prior to starting.

9 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I would get the correct glides for your current design and keep the 24" ones for another shop fixture in the future. If you Gerry-rig it now it will bug you for all time ?

I agree that it will bother me every time I pull out the drawers.  So I will just have to bite the bullet and buy new slides.

The slides I looked at from Glide Rite are 1" over travel and even though 10 pairs are more than I need, for the price and free shipping, I can't complain.  

20 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Ask if slides with overtravel are available. They pull out and extra 1" or so. Makes access to the drawer contents much easier and the cost is about the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now that lacrosse is finally over I was able to get some more work done on this earlier today.  It's not much but I see it as progress.  The next thing will be doing some sanding and then I should be ready to assemble the base.  2 of the photos are the left and right end panels being glued up, the other picture is just the rest of the dividers with there pocket screws drilled.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1