Office Desk Finish Suggestions

Shaun Guthrie

Good Evening,

I've had such good luck asking previous questions I figure I'd try another one.

I'm building an office desk out of walnut, one side live edge the other just plain. I was going to use Arm R Seal again as I used that on a previous desk of various hardwoods and it turned out great.  I however am open to suggestions.  What have others used?  Pro's Con's? etc..

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, TIODS said:

ARS is a great option!

I typically like to treat the live edge with epoxy before finishing if it's pretty rough.  If it's smooth, I'll skip the epoxy.

Yeah the live edge is pretty smooth no issue there. 

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Are you setup to spray?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

No, not yet.  Why what were you going to suggest?

An hvlp system with some pre cat solvent based lacquer. Cant go wrong with that.

Id rather rip my fingernails off with pliers than finish a big project like that by hand. That's just me. I sprayed for the first time in 2006 and havent looked back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Well if you have a desk to finish I'd say now is the time to move that baby from wish list over to cart !!

HA! If I get more jobs like this then you're damn rights I'll get one.

• Like 1

I typically spray pre-cat or post-cat with a pressure pot or HVLP. But I highly recommend Minwax Wipe-on Poly for those that aren't ready to spray. I have commercial projects that have been in service since '99 before I knew how to spray and they still look great. 

Nothing against Arm R Seal, I have never used it. But I have had bad luck shipping finishes in so I only buy from local dealers so I don't have to deal with damaged cans and lack of response from the shipping company and seller for lost product. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toddclippinger said:

I typically spray pre-cat or post-cat with a pressure pot or HVLP. But I highly recommend Minwax Wipe-on Poly for those that aren't ready to spray. I have commercial projects that have been in service since '99 before I knew how to spray and they still look great. 

Nothing against Arm R Seal, I have never used it. But I have had bad luck shipping finishes in so I only buy from local dealers so I don't have to deal with damaged cans and lack of response from the shipping company and seller for lost product. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I can get Arm R Seal here locally at Lee Valley so no issue there.