Wrong choice of finishes

Ronn W

I am in the process of finishing a keepsake box.  The top will have a rubbed super smooth finish. The sides will just be several coats for a very nice smooth finish but not super smooth.

My product of choice, which I now regret, is Arm R Seal.  While it works great on the top - a flat surface that remains horizontal while it dries.  It is not good for the sides of the box when trying to build some thickness.  I have not been able to apply the finish to all 4 sides (rounded corners require that I do all 4 sides at the same time) without getting some sagging before it sets.  No matter how I orient the box, at least 2 of the sides are vertical. This evening I tried again. I mounted the box so that I could rotate it while it dried and speeded the process up with a hair dryer.  I am still not happy with it - after 7 coats.  I think that I will either have to call it good enough or I could try to flatten the slight sags with 1000 grit wet/dry.  If I can do that without sanding thru the last coat I could continue with 2000 grit, McQuires #2 and McQuires #7 and the whole box will have the same finish as the top

I have used Arm R Seal on previous projects with vertical surfaces but those projects were done with just 3 or four thin coats since I did not want to build up the thickness.

Next time I will use will shellac or lacquer - live and learn.  Thanks for listening to me vent my frustration. P1010008.JPG

When I made my sample practice board the thicker coats worked well but I was working on a flat surface and filled in the open grain in the cocbolo after 5 coats. I used 2 coats of aqua coat first.  But, You are right - I neglected to think ahead when it came to doing the sides.  The current cat is very smooth - Can I do a wipe on coat over what I have with out getting friction streaks?

1 minute ago, Ronn W said:

When I made my sample practice board the thicker coats worked well but I was working on a flat surface and filled in the open grain in the cocbolo after 5 coats. I used 2 coats of aqua coat first.  But, You are right - I neglected to think ahead when it came to doing the sides.  The current cat is very smooth - Can I do a wipe on coat over what I have with out getting friction streaks?

Always best to practice first but, if applied properly, you shouldn't get any streaks.

Tiods,  Thanks for the suggestion and encouragement on my problem.  It took a couple of practice coats to be able to get the right amount of Arm R Seal - a decent coat thickness but one that would not run when left in a vertical position.  Yes, the problem was all me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Tiods,  Thanks for the suggestion and encouragement on my problem.  It took a couple of practice coats to be able to get the right amount of Arm R Seal - a decent coat thickness but one that would not run when left in a vertical position.  Yes, the problem was all me.

Am always happy to help..  If it wasn't me with that advise, one of the others would have jumped in with it..  That's the great thing about this community!

Glad it worked out!

7 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Am always happy to help..  If it wasn't me with that advise, one of the others would have jumped in with it..  That's the great thing about this community!

Glad it worked out!

Yeah, Eric would have hammered him as well with the 7 coats. Ronn, this is a box, not a wooden boat?. Box looks great, btw.

On 5/31/2016 at 10:11 AM, Mike. said:

Here's a tip* - apply your finish to the center of the board and work your way to the ends.  Most of us start at the end of a board because it we like to work from left to righ.  But your brush/rag will be loaded with a lot of finish and if you start near the end, that finish will run over to the other side.   

*Famous woodworkers for $1000, Alex

Norm?