Grain fill - top only, or whole project?

jimmyhopps

I'm about to start finishing a small entry table - 11" deep, 41" wide.  Somewhat colonial in design - tapered legs and 2 inset drawers.  American walnut.  The piece will go in my mud room and hold  a phone, keys, etc. 

I'd like to fill the grain (watco wet sanding) of the top.  never done it, but its a small piece so good place to learn.  ARS top coat probably.

Question: do i need to fill the grain of the entire piece - legs, drawers, rails/stiles?  or just the top?    Will it look odd, or too contrasting, with only the top having been filled and no fill on the legs?

Filling the grain on a top is a lot of work. Filling the grain on an entire piece is exceedingly difficult. It it so easy to miss areas and have to go back over them or over-sand through the fill. It is harder to fill and sand shaped parts. And I just don't think the benefits justify the effort.

Filling the top gives you a smooth surface to polish with no grain to collect dirt or reduce the reflections.

• Like 1

Yep, using oil to fill the pores will be a lot of work but the results can be great.

The top is the feature that people will notice and touch the most.  I don't think its worth the effort to do the entire piece.  Let us know how ti turns out and how many coats it took.

thanks.  a lot of work?  most of the demos look fairly straight forward.  

followup question.  generally one is advised to remove dust from pores before finishing.  i assume that is not the case here?  i should sand prior, and leave the dust in the pores?  seems logical, but haven't read where anybody comments on this. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyhopps said:

Tiods, even when grain filling?  doesn't blowing it off just imply you have to sand that much more to fill it in?

Yep..  It's dry..  You have to get the dust off or you'll just end up with a bunch of nibs in your finish..  You could wipe with a damp cloth or a tack rag and do the same thing..

14 minutes ago, jimmyhopps said:

Thanks Tiods.  do you usually do the whole, or just the table tops?

If I do it at all, usually just the top..  Spraying lacquer or WB poly usually fills them and you self levels.

Jimmy, if you dry sand, then apply oil over the dusty surface, you will end up with a table covered in boogers. The dry dust balls up, rather than mixing nicely with the oil. Start clean.

Having said that, I have to side with Eric a bit. Sand in the oil to get that silky feel, but quit before the surface is unnaturally smooth to the eye.

• 3 weeks later...

Highlander, shame of me for not taking your advise.  I've got boogers.  First 3 coats actually worked fine.  nice and smooth.  but for some reason, the 4th coat has a ton of boogers.  maybe it had more dust than i realized.  gonna have to sand it back a bit, but that doesn't seem to be very difficult on my tests thus far.    only other thing to add in case it caused my issue is that my 2nd coat was: 1/3 spirits, 1/3 watco, 1/3 poly - was aiming for some extra strength.  the 3rd worked fine.  maybe the 3rd filled every poor and the 4th had nowhere to soak in.  don't know.

On 6/16/2016 at 3:02 PM, Mike. said:

No offense Jimmy, but i will never understand why people insist on these home brew finishes.  I think there must be some internet talking heads giving making people think they can outsmart the chemists at minwax or general finishes. 

Yup.  His name is Marc.

I'm one of those home brewers but I would amend the OP's brew by replacing the Watco with boiled linseed oil.  The standard three part home brew of BLO, solvent and polyurethane essentially produces what gets marketed as "Danish Oil", so using Watco to produce this is bizarrely circular.

I tried running some numbers to get an idea of cost.  i.e. Buying components separately versus buying pre-mixed Danish oils or wipe-on poly.  Couldn't find any combination of off-the-shelf sizes that would yield an apples-to-apples result not skewed by the economies of buying in bulk.  Typically, pre-mixed finishes are sold in smaller quantities whereas one can buy BLO, poly, and solvent in gallon jugs.

Regardless, I'd venture that one of the appeals is versatility.  The individual components of BLO, poly and solvent all have uses of their own whereas a pre-mixed Danish oil or wiping varnish is just that.