Follow up on Rikon Drill Press

Ronn W

I have had a chance to drill a few holes since my initial "just set it up" review.  Since this is my first DP I don't have a lot to compare to but I really like it.  Had to drill a pair of holes in my spokeshave project for the blade adjustment mechanism.  Each hole was actually 3 operations.  1) 5/16" in the top 3/32 deep, 2) a 1/4" thru hole on the same center, 3) a 5/8" hole 5/8" deep from the bottom on the same center.  The depth stop is smooth and easy to use - push the button on the wheel and slide the stop to the desired position and then turn the wheel for fine tuning.  The upward travel stop is also very smooth and very handy so that you can position the bit just above the surface to minimize bit travel.  Also very handy to hold bit in position when setting the depth stop and positioning the work piece dead center.  I really like the variable speed with the digital readout.  Makes it so easy to change RPM as I change bit diameters.  Task light is great.  I love my new toy.

P1010005.JPG

Clamp holding piece to fence not shown in this pic.