Oak Wilt

Josiah Brown

My grandfather owns a ranch with a large grove of oak trees that have been killed by oak wilt.  The trees are dead but still standing and as far as I know have not been infested with bugs yet.  Does anyone know if trees that have oak wilt still make good lumber?  It seems to me that if the wood is still solid there wouldn't be any problem with it.  Thanks in advance!

I know that some diseased trees cannot be transported across state lines even as firewood to prevent an accidental spread of infection. If the trees are standing dead there will most likely be some discoloration at the very least. I do not know for sure but cutting up one tree might answer a lot of your questions. County Extension Agents or the local agriculture/forestry folks might be your best source for definite info.

I have oak wilt extremely bad on my property and wdwerker you would be correct in your comment about transporting. In MN you cannot move them out of the area, even as you suggest for fire wood. I have never slabbed any up but I have cut many trees down and split into firewood and for the most part I have not noticed any difference from non oak wilt trees I have cut down and split. I purchased a chain saw mill recently and I will be slabbing some up this fall in hopes that I can use some of the wood. we shall see.