Jet® Industrial 5HP Shaper and Rockler High Pressure Laminate Router Table

Mikes information is right on.  If you find yourself leaning toward the router table take a look at the Incra router table systems. Either the Incra LS standard system or the LS super system.  I think that for the extra $$ you will be much happier with how the fence itself adjust.  It is a way smoother adjustment process.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/LS_Standard_System_s/12.htm

Apples and oranges.  You can get a low end shaper for less than you can put together a high end router table.  The shaper will excel at large profiles where large diameter cutters move at slower speeds.  The router table will excel if you want to do a lot of different things but, spins smaller bits at higher speeds.

The value of one over the other will depend on what you are doing.  Although similar in function like a bandsaw and a tablesaw, neither is a replacement for the other.  If you need a shaper you will not be happy with a router table. If you are looking for something to do profile, joinery and dado work a router table will be more flexible.

Consider what you want to do and then research the proper tool for that task.  As stated, these are not the same tools and one is not a replacement for the other.  I know some people spin router bits in their shaper but, the top end of a shaper at around 10,000 RPM is the slowest my router table motor will go.

Router bits are far cheaper than shaper cutters . Unless you are going to set up production of raised panel doors or large curved moldings a router table will do just fine for a hobby shop.

The Porter Cable 7518 router motor is one of the best available. Get the multi speed version. A lift is a very good idea as well, many to choose from.

Freud and Whiteside make very good bits. CMT , Amana and many others are good quality too.

I have the VS PC 7518 in my router table and it has worked well for many years. As others have said when I do raised panels I do them in several passes but they come out great just not as fast as I would expect a shaper to do them. I use Freud and Whiteside bits as well. I have looked at shapers over the years but could never justify the size or the space required for another tool...did I just type that LOL