Shop wall & ceiling color

SawDustB

Hey guys,

I'm in the midst of chaos in my shop (garage) since we had new door & windows installed in the outside wall. As a result, I've got everything moved to one side and thought this would be a good opportunity to refresh the paint. I think it's just a couple coats of primer on there now. White's the safe, classic choice, but had anyone used anything else on your shop walls? I want to stay fairly bright, but I wouldn't mind a little color. I'm just trying to think if there's a major downside to putting in something like a light blue...

Gloss white is my preference.  Lots of light bounce where my walls are not covered with storage fixtures (I have cleat walls).  As to color influence, I was picking out walnut parts for a top yesterday.  I add lights with properties of the target location whenever possible.  Even under the right light, I kept coming back to the bench with mismatched boards.  I realized the material was picking up bounce from my red t-shirt.  I changed shirts and suddenly everything was OK :D.

• Like 1

Semi-gloss white for the ceiling & walls. And for those splashes of accent color, I have shades of green, gray & black on the machinery, orange & red on the clamps & brown on the furnace.

I'm pretty sure it's all Feng Shui compliant.

• Like 1

All good points. Sounds like universal votes for white. I'm not concerned about videos or anything, but colour matching is a bigger issue. I'm thinking I'll just go with a good quality washable (kitchen and bath type) white then. Going cream or beige doesn't exciter me enough to bother going and getting new paint, although I can appreciate that it might help hide the dust layer. I'm not painting until Saturday, probably, so I can think on it until then.

27 minutes ago, Mike. said:

FWIW I hate my white shop walls.  Its be too much work to take everything down to paint them but man it is uninspiring.  I hate white walls.  I respond to color and cool colors (blue, gray) put me in a better mood.  Sounds funny, I know.   

Not really... I was thinking along the same lines with the blue. What I don't know is if it'll cause me any actual issues. I'm planning to put up a few more racks, storage solutions, etc after doing this so I expect this is the only shot I have at picking a colour (or not). I wasn't even going to paint it originally, until I realized the "white" walls really didn't match the new white door & window.

I'm a fan of green shades when combined with the wood from different projects it makes me feel like I'm at home in a tree. Wood Blue and Green all remind me of outside and are my go-to colors. Everyone comments on my wall colors in my house about how bold they are.

• Like 1

I've been going through the same motions. I finally decided to go with two tones of gray - very light on the walls and two shades darker on the trim. One wall of my shop was mud brown and the rest a very dingy beige. All the beams and trim were Jacobean brownblack. Ugh. 

I will post pictures once it's done. Already a big improvement.

My walls are white but by the time I get cabinets, vises, various jigs, hung on the walls and tall equipment like drill press and band saw there is plenty of color.   I painted some of my low cabinet doors bright colors, too, but I don't expect that others would care much for that.

I like the color..Wife going to help paint I hope..

Not likely... we went to the paint store and came out with 4 colours, not one. I'm painting the living room and dining room this weekend before I get to the shop . The best I can hope is she'll keep the kids out of my hair so I can get it done.

Still, I'm happy with the colour. Hopefully the calming aspect will help me stay happy while playing painting Tetris... there's a lot of stuff I have to move to paint, and nowhere else to put it in the house.