Sheet / pan storage

JosephThomas

Honey-do list was recently updated...yes I could have bought one of these, or at least the cabinet, but getting out to the shop with a newborn in the house is very nice... basically the boss wants a cabinet next to the stove with "pull-out storage" for tall pans and cooking sheets, here's a couple example photos from google:

8037d6b8b8f66bd69ee8e51a8424afe4.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5CkIb-V6acEUxRqCK6pF

I'm not sure whether I want to build something like the "crate" structure in the first photo or just a tall drawer like the 2nd photo...either way I'm concerned about how strong/sturdy it will feel when someone "yanks" the thing open from the top handle..don't want racking to tear it apart.

Either way, boss decided she wants a small drawer above like a normal cabinet, so that was enough to get started...face frame made of poplar, opening for a 4" tall drawer plus undermount slides, pretty basic. Because of the placement and depth of the cabinet, decided to mostly forgo any toe-kick:

hMxpBq0.png

3/4" maple ply, dadoes in the side to hold the bottom, got to try out the dado stack, thanks @TIODS:)

JAQ8xvi.png

Pocket holes to connect carcass to FFs, wasn't worried about these being too visible inside because the drawers/pull-outs should hide the inside mostly.

ZrGMyzh.png

The bottom is 1/4" less deep than the sides, also rabbeted the sides by 1/4" to accept a thin back panel:

9j5fBrB.png

Added some more 3/4" ply strips to the top and back for extra ridgity and to give me something solid to connect the drawer slides to, aaaaaaaaaaaaand it's a cabinet.

X8eUx4J.png

So, any thoughts on how I should build the lower "drawer" / "pull-out" ? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I have done sheet pan pull outs with one tall side solid(or ply) and the other side 1/3 solid and a few 1 x 2 cross bars . The tall side ,front and back will hold the front quite well. 

And you just used a single set of undermount drawer slides? Or did you have to use multiple sets of slides on the sides?

13 hours ago, wdwerker said:

If the drawer is over 12" wide I use 3 side mount slides. I use a pair at the bottom and one on the top solid side. Undermount slides will work and give a bit more useable space on narrow pull outs.

Thanks Steve. I was originally hoping to do only undermount slides. I'll probably put it together and see how sturdy it is without an extra side-mounted slide halfway up the side.

Thanks Geedub, that is basically what I had in mind, only a little taller.