Water Bourne Spray Questions? [GF High-Preformance]

davewyo

I tried out some General Finishes High-Performance today. It's the first finish I've tried spraying from my HVLP and I'm coming up with several details which are confusing.

Can you spray in the sun?

Do you thin your water bourne finishes?

How wet a coat should I put down? If I put on a wet coat I get that milky appearance that acrylic finishes get. It goes away as the piece dries, so that isn't a problem, but my question is "Should I be putting down so wet a coat that it looks a little milky, or should I be spraying lighter coats?"

I'm spraying at about 65 deg. F and 30% or less humidity. Dry times are pretty quick, but not so much as when it gets to be summer here.  If the last coat looks to be completely dry do I have to wait the 2+ hours to put on additional coats?

I appreciate any help. I'm just kinda winging it...

Here's my "spray booth":

http://IMG_1595_zpsqakzkqgc.jpg

Thanks guys! That is very helpful.

I didn't think it was okay to spray with direct sunlight, but it doesn't say anything about it in the product data. I was spraying my test project indoors right near the open door. For convenience I sprayed some test scraps in the sun and they dried in a matter of seconds.

No question, I thinned too much. I was messing with a viscosity cup and a stopwatch. I should have tried shooting full strength and then thinned if needed.

I'm happy to hear that I can spray subsequent coats when it is dry rather than following the directions to the letter. It took me all day to spray 3 coats because the data sheet says 2-3 hours to re-coat. I had a strong feeling that 30 or 40 minutes would do, but I couldn't be sure. Sanding the test piece make perfect sense.

For experimentation I'm spraying all kinds of scraps, unfinished or rejected projects, poplar mock-ups, and pieces of cardboard. I'm trying to work out my spraying technique/gun adjustments for spraying inside a small box and see if I like the looks of GF High-Preformance on various woods at the same time. Oh, and on the side I'm seeing if GF High-Pref will adhere over top of BLO.