Panel Saw Storage Solution for a Small Shop

Phil Kulis

When planning to do the Happy Wife Kitchen Upgrade I was really dreading cutting sheet goods on the floor.  I also anticipated building a lot of pull out drawers as a small business.  So I invested in a panel saw kit to make the work easier and faster (it really is!).  But having a two car garage size shop where space is at a premium, I needed an out of the way place to store it.

I hope my idea helps you all if you choose to get one for yourself.

Check out this 2 minute video to see how I did it.  Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/MeYvtwP1lrM

Not trying to be negative Phil, sorry. I think it is very ingenious. I am just the kind of guy that trys to spend as little time as possible making jigs and the like. So for me, I see that and think, thats a heck of a lot of work compared to taking my track off the wall, making the cut and puttng the track back on the nail on the wall. That doesn't take away from how cool that panel saw is though.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There may be other solutions.  But this thing makes short work of a high volme of cuts.   I attached a tape measure relative to the cut line that makes it easy to set up each cut without having to draw a measure line.  I just go by the cut-list.  No attaching with clamps or repositioning a track for each cut.  And it saves me from to crawling around on the floor, or puting the sheets on supports.  I really enjoy using it.

• Like 2

No worries, Shaneymack.  You are correct that it took a bit to get it all together.  

Actually one of the more problematic aspects was locating the anchor spots in the ceiling.    I'm normally not one for elaborate jigs and such, but this one is a huge time saver.

No, sorry.  I don't have a video of it in use.  Just the demo of how I modified it.  It works just like the full size panel saws at places like Lowes, Home Depot or other lumber yards.  

My response got merged with a previous comment.  I'm new to this forum and don't yet know how to keep my comments individualized.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Janello said:

Thats awesome Phil ! You should take it to the next level and add a 110v light duty winch to raise and lower it. B)

Phil that is pretty cool!  I would have to agree with John, adding a winch would be good.  I would hate to think of the damage if you lost concentration lowering or putting up. 

• Like 1

Woodenskye & Janello, thanks that's a good idea. I have thought of putting an electric winch. But it's actually pretty easy to maneuver. 

It looks tougher in the video than it is because it was about the twentieth time (slightly exaggerated) that day raising and lowering it for the video and my hands were getting sore.