New tool!!!!

BKeys

I've been saving my nickels for a little while and finally the mitre saw I had settled on came on sale!!!  I got a Bosch 12" sliding mitre.  Huge upgrade from my old 10" Protech saw.  I am always amazed at the difference between "throw away" and quality tools.  I was reading an article on the WW site where a guy asked about which saw blade to purchase.  He was brand new to woodworking and Marc had some interesting thoughts.  Marc advised him to use the stock blade for a while so he could feel and understand the difference in quality.  I guess my time with low quality tools wasn't a complete waste.  Next upgrade is my drill press...anybody have any suggestions or inputs on drill presses....so far, I'm torn between the Jet 15" bench top and the Grizzly 15".  The Grizzly is significantly less expensive and I'm wondering if the Jet is worth the extra money?  Guessing they are both accurate, both 12,speed and both have 3/4hp motors...what else is there to consider?

Congrats on the new mitre saw ! Bosch makes some great tools, im sure it will serve you well, My last saw was a bosch 10" and I loved it. 

As for a drill press, I dont have any recommendation really. I bought a fairly cheap benchtop model made by Steel City. It has a digital display and adjustable speed with the turn of a wheel . I think i paid 300$ for it, or maybe even less. It gets the job done and ive never needed anything more. I would get the less expensive model for now and use the leftover for another upgrade that would make a bigger difference in your day to day woodworking tasks.

1 minute ago, wtnhighlander said:

If you have the oprion to shop in person, check the DP for runout or wobble. As long as it spins a bit straight and true, the rest is just gravy on the biscuit.

That's kinda what I was thinking.  Unfortunately I don't really have room for a floor model.  Right now I'm working with an 8" Craftsman garage sale find so it really is my next pressing upgrade with a new bandsaw to follow that.  I guess I do want a DP with a table that I will be able to upgrade with clamps, vices etc

A good high grade plywood, T-tracks and all the little goodies that fit T-tracks and some time , you can build your own table, designed around your needs, not the needs of a manufacturing company! Which by the way is your pocket change!  All your pocket change!   And, improve your skills with the resources you have at your command, thereby justifying your need for more!  Build for you to learn, and apply for those that appreciate it , with a case of beer or $5k.  It's in how you find that you get better every day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

Congrats!  Nice equipment does make a difference!

As for the drill press, if you have the room, I'd suggest a floor standing over the bench top.

Question on that....I also want a floor model just don't see how to arrange my shop to accommodate it...Question is..what exactly would a floor model offer me that the bench top models don't. I do have a spot for my bench top that offers pretty good clearance around it to move materials...outside of being able to drill holes in the end of a 4 ft board what else am I not thinking of?

5 minutes ago, BKeys said:

Question on that....I also want a floor model just don't see how to arrange my shop to accommodate it...Question is..what exactly would a floor model offer me that the bench top models don't. I do have a spot for my bench top that offers pretty good clearance around it to move materials...outside of being able to drill holes in the end of a 4 ft board what else am I not thinking of?

You can to much longer/thicker pieces on a stand up DP.  If you have the room, you can also mount a nice table with hold down ability, fences, and stop blocks. You can also get them with a tilting table and I'm not sure you can get that in a bench top?  You can also put these on a mobile cart so that you can tuck them away when not in use.

Ultimately, you just get way more versatility out of a stand up version.

Congrats on the saw! I have had mine since earlier this year and really like it. Regarding drill presses its the one tool I bought once and have never changed or felt the need to. Mine is a Delta floor standing model that I have had for about 14 years.

A floor model depending on the model will offer a larger table, more distance from the support shaft to the quill and, depending on the model, greater length of travel.  Mine also has variable speed with the turn of a knob (520 to 2200 rpm) which is very nice and 5" quill travel.

Considering I just spent all my pennies on the miter saw I will have a bit of time to look at this....I can always reserve the bench space where the current DP is for a mortiser.  I'll just have to see where I can fit a floor model DP. I currently have my jointer on rollers and it gets moved into another bay when not in use so it's not like I haven't used that strategy!  I am just now at the stage where every tool I upgrade, I want it to be the last upgrade.

7 minutes ago, BKeys said:

Considering I just spent all my pennies on the miter saw I will have a bit of time to look at this....I can always reserve the bench space where the current DP is for a mortiser.  I'll just have to see where I can fit a floor model DP. I currently have my jointer on rollers and it gets moved into another bay when not in use so it's not like I haven't used that strategy!  I am just now at the stage where every tool I upgrade, I want it to be the last upgrade.

Just get the domino and then you won't want the mortiser ;)

Not sure where you live but, if you're close to me or one of the jobs I drive to, I'll sell you a mortiser cheap!

Lol. MI to WA is a long drive for a mortiser.  Domino is awesome but boy what a festool price tag.  My wife always gripes that I always need the best and she was just complaining about the $650 tag on the miter saw.  I told her that contrary to her opinion on that, I don't own a single tool that I would classify as the best.  I like to strike a nice balance with quality and price.  Sadly, I have yet to run across anything Festool that I could justify.  Not saying they aren't the best. Would have loved a kapex but at half the cost I got a good reliable saw that makes accurate cuts.  If I ever pony up for something Festool (and I'd love to) it would be a domino.  I don't know of anything comparable from other companies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BKeys said:

Lol. MI to WA is a long drive for a mortiser.  Domino is awesome but boy what a festool price tag.  My wife always gripes that I always need the best and she was just complaining about the $650 tag on the miter saw.  I told her that contrary to her opinion on that, I don't own a single tool that I would classify as the best.  I like to strike a nice balance with quality and price.  Sadly, I have yet to run across anything Festool that I could justify.  Not saying they aren't the best. Would have loved a kapex but at half the cost I got a good reliable saw that makes accurate cuts.  If I ever pony up for something Festool (and I'd love to) it would be a domino.  I don't know of anything comparable from other companies.

It is a hefty price tag for sure!  However, your time also has value and it's such a time saver that it pays for itself quickly!

It's also not for everyone...  Your money and your shop as I always say!

Regarding space, remember there are several storage cabinet designs to fit under the DP table, and roll our when you end-drill long stock. Alternatively, a benchtop unit can have the head loosened so it can swing out over the edge of the workbench, rather than being fixed over the base.

Well, bit the bullet and am getting rid of the radial arm saw.  No longer need it with the new miter saw and it frees up enough room to turn the bench with the RAS into a dedicated miter station and it frees up enough space for a floor model drill press and a band saw. (Currently have a bench top band saw which is next to useless). Just kinda tough to part with, was my Dad's.