Stain not dark enough

mrrhode04

So I am building an island top out of white oak butcher block and the customer wants me to stain it to look like Walnut. The picture of the table is what they want it to look similar to. The table used Varathane American walnut stain. So I went a picked some up and put a few coats on and this is the outcome. Putting multiple coats on didn't seem to do anything and letting it sit for an extended period of time didn't seem to do anything. I am guessing the best bet would be to sand this stain off and get some darker stuff. What is every bodies thoughts?

13405159_10210153780624262_1538458339_o.jpg13388773_10154125592220993_257455571_o.jpg

If you sand it off try using dye instead of stain to achieve darker colors. I prefer to use alcohol or acetone based dyes and spray them for the best results.

Always test finishes on scraps left over from the project to avoid issues like this one.

• Like 2

Me personally, I like it but the customer wants it dark. I used the exact stain that he said to use so to me I wasn't that worried about the color. I would have rather just made it out of Walnut but he didn't want to pay the extra cost for Walnut. I don't have a sprayer so that isn't an option for me right now.

@TIODS, I tried that from the beginning but the cost was to much. This is the exact reason I just prefer to use the color of the wood instead of trying to stain something a certain color. Plus people always have something in their head and some people are not good with explaining it from the start.

@Mike., Yes I have sample boards that I have finish on that I could test other products on. So you are saying I could go over the top of what I already have with gel stain? I wouldn't have to remove the current walnut stain?

@wdwerker, I like the dye idea but I am think for my first attempt I should pick a smaller project and maybe one that I would either have time to fix or it is my own.

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

If you sand it off try using dye instead of stain to achieve darker colors. I prefer to use alcohol or acetone based dyes and spray them for the best results.

Always test finishes on scraps left over from the project to avoid issues like this one.

Test strips - best advice.

• Like 1

Well a little update. I went and got some gel stain and applied it last night and it did nothing for the color. So I grabbed my TransTint and mixed some in water. Here are a couple pictures of the results. On the bottom stick from left to right is raw wood with TransTint different amount of tint in the first two, then the far right one is stain with tint (didn't do much). The upper right is TransTint/water mixture over the current finish that is on the top. The other picture is with poly over them. I have told the customer that I am giving up on using the stain he wanted and with be doing what I need to do to make it look like walnut.

20160607_223101.jpg20160608_080844.jpg

I just finished a commission where I had to build new back panels for an old Mission style cabinet. I had success using Watco "Dark Walnut" Danish Oil tinted with Transtint Dark Walnut. I wasn't shooting for quite as dark as you are but it definitely worked for what I needed. That being said, I think your upper right test with Transtint/water looks pretty good. Honestly, no matter what you do, its not going to look like walnut. Customers just don't understand that but its the truth. Maybe up the amount of Transtint so see if you can get it just a bit darker and see what they have to say. Good luck!

Thanks, yeah it turned out better than what I figured it would. I sent a picture to the customer before putting the first coat of finish on and he said that he loved it, the true test will be when he gives it to his wife in a week for their anniversary. It will be the top to and island. I am curious to see what they both have to say when they see it in person.

I thought the same thing about the goofy spot but after I looked back at a different picture I noticed it was just part of the wood. the picture below shows it pretty well before I put the dye on.

20160608_174340.jpg

Looks like you got some great results. Dark colors on light to medium woods does take a fair amount of effort. Remember to mention this whenever someone wants walnut or dark cherry without paying for the real thing ! The extra finishing costs eat up a good bit of the materials price difference.

Thanks everybody. Yeah this customer mentioned they are going to want counter tops to match this someday, I am thinking he might not like the quote now that I know how much more work is involved.

@wdwerker I should have listened to you in the first place and used dye, I was just not sure about doing it on a tight time line, but it all turned out OK.

@logos Yes I applied it over the stain that was already on there, I did a couple of test pieces to make sure it would be OK before I did it on the whole top. After the dye was dry I did a thin layer of shellac to set the dye then I started with my poly.