Wood hinge boxes

shaneymack

Dang dud, Henry Ford would have been proud of you for batching those out! With that many dt's, surely not hand cut?

No not handcut. I used the Leigh d4r pro. Its a lot easier to do them hand cut, just a lot slower. The more I use that jig, the more I realise I hate it with all my being.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Nice bunch of boxes so far Shane.  Am I seeing right, you use you Low Angle Jack on you shooting board?

Thanks Chet. Yes im using the low angle jack. Hopefully that will change on fathers day.....

I call BS!  Shane's account got hacked!  Who are you imposter?  Shane could knock out a coffee table in 2 days, max.

(Nice boxes btw)

Haha, thanks Steve! Actually i probably could bang out a decect coffee table in a couple days but not the design I want to build for him. It has bent laminated aprons and a curved drawer within apron so i wouldn't want to be rushed to do it. He will have to enjoy this little box untill I can get around to it :)

Looking good so far, Shane! Let's see those hinges!

Thanks Daniel !

The boxes look great, but you can't leave this hanging...

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

The more I use that jig, the more I realise I hate it with all my being.

Why?  My only problem with it is the repeated learning curve.  I have to go through the manual every time for setup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

The more I use that jig, the more I realise I hate it with all my being.

i don't disagree with you much on anything shane but i really like mine, dovetails, box joints, sliding dovetails, half blind dovetails are all a breeze on mine, i use it all the time. i will say i haven't had the courage (or time) to try hand cut dovetails, maybe this winter

• Like 1

The boxes look great, but you can't leave this hanging...

Why?  My only problem with it is the repeated learning curve.  I have to go through the manual every time for setup.

I just think it is way easier to screw something up with this jig than with hand cut. This jig gives you nothing over hand cut except speed. And the speed ONLY comes if you are batching out the exact same size drawer over and over and IF you have dedicated routers for all the bits that stay set up. Its so damn finicky, I really hate it. Its just that I feel im so invested in it i keep going back to it. Something always goes wrong for me no matter how dilligent i am at reading the manual over and over again. Most often i am cutting asymmetric dovetails which requires more brain power. If i were doing them by hand there is little brain power, layout amd cut. Obviously other things come into play with handcut but the process is so much more pleasant. I used to only cut half blind and through by hand untill I got this thing and I keep thinking of going back. Or a combo of bandsaw and chisels. I dont know. I keep thinking i just need more time in the saddle with it but the more I use it the more i dislike it.

i don't disagree with you much on anything shane but i really like mine, dovetails, box joints, sliding dovetails, half blind dovetails are all a breeze on mine, i use it all the time. i will say i haven't had the courage (or time) to try hand cut dovetails, maybe this winter

I hear ya Dave. Maybe I just need to practise a lot more with it. It could totally be that im just not very good with it because lots of people like it. It seems i always get some weird problem that i cant figure out. Yesterday I was cutting asymmetric dovetails and the dovetails all came out great on the first two boxes. Then when i got to the birdseye tails it went bad. Cutting my B And D Sides on the left side of the jig was fine. When i did my A amd C sides on the right side i had one tail too tight amd one tail too loose !! How the @$#*/£= does that happen !! I never figured out the problem. I re did the parts without the vrs and they came out great. I was covered in dust but the parts were good =).

i agree with you shane, asymmetric dovetails do take more thought, but look at your result on those beautiful boxes. i doubt that you could have done them all by hand in the time you had available to do them. i have used mine a lot and i only have one router for the job so i have to set it up every time, i get faster with it every time i use it

i agree with you shane, asymmetric dovetails do take more thought, but look at your result on those beautiful boxes. i doubt that you could have done them all by hand in the time you had available to do them. i have used mine a lot and i only have one router for the job so i have to set it up every time, i get faster with it every time i use it

You are probably right Dave. Im still annoyed from yesterday lol. I have been using tools for a long time and most tools i just use and dont think about. When there is something wrong i just tune it up and keep on going. It seems like with this jig I am always on edge and double and triple checking everything. I normally don't have to put much thought into using tools so it really messes with my usual workflow.

i've had the same thing happen to me, i believe it was due to the bit slipping in the collet, my only complaint about that jig is the 1/2" to 8mm adapter, it sucks. a friend bought a 8mm collet for his PC and no problems.

Please explain more this bit slipping in the collet and why it would cause my problem. Speak slowly, im Canadian.

not a Canadian thing Shane, it's a wood worker thing, my problem was the bit slipped down causing a loose joint. when i do asymmetrical joints i use a marking knife to transfer finger positions from left to right. maybe this was your issue, maybe not

Interesting. I don't think that is the issue. The router i had the dovetail bit in had the actual 8mm collet in it. The router with the straight bit had the collet adapter. It bizarre because all I did was remove the vrs and the second pieces came out fine which doesnt make sense to me.

Shane the boxes look great, I can't wait to see the hinges! I get what you're saying about that coffee table design, glue only dries so fast. Oh, and did you realise that your shooting board is backwards? ?

Thanks Ross! Yup im a lefty, but a weird one. I use a hand plane right and use a shooting board left. Come to think of it, I'm pretty ambidextrous when it comes to woodworking.

37 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

It bizarre because all I did was remove the vrs and the second pieces came out fine which doesnt make sense to me.

hey Shane, if the depth was ok i would suspect that you rotated the router a bit, the guide bushing is elliptical and if you rotate the router, i.e. don't keep it square to the jig, your cut will be off

hey Shane, if the depth was ok i would suspect that you rotated the router a bit, the guide bushing is elliptical and if you rotate the router, i.e. don't keep it square to the jig, your cut will be off

Nope not that either. That is my focus when im routing, keeping the router at 12 o'clock.

What will the improvement be? A finer cut? Or just the efficiency of not using a plane for 2 different tasks?

I guess ill have to wait untill fathers day to see..