Hello from the Chicago north suburbs

Joeitalia7

12 hours ago, Mike. said:

I grew up in the southwest burbs (alsip).  Owl Hardwood is really the only resource around, other than amazon.com :) 

That's what I was afraid of......

I'm forced to go to the big boxes (which for the stage i'm in with woodworking, gets the jobs done).  Every now and then I head over to Rockler in Schaumburg, but its a very small store. 

29 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I know you are into comics but do younlive in an alternate reality? :)

Not at all. It's not a big deal to drive 200 miles and back in the same day. Road trip. Will stop at Kuma's Corner and have lunch with friends. And yeah I basically pay the same amount because amazon's price is lower by exactly the price you gotta pay to ship it. But it's all good.

I've made multiple day trips to Smoque in Chicago. Go there with a group of friends, I place a catering order of like 5lbs brisket, few racks of ribs and some rub. Then come get and head back. In Chicago for less than an hour.

2 hours ago, Cliff said:

There is a Woodcraft in Woodridge too, can't remember how far that is from ya. I'm thinking that is where I'll get the drum sander when I'm ready. Easier to drive the 200 miles and bring it back than have it shipped.

Woodridge isn't that far, but its also not very convenient.  They had a location in Libertyville, right by me, but apparently that closed before I moved into the area.  They must have seen me coming!

Welcome!  This is what we need...more north side guys!

19 hours ago, Mike. said:

I grew up in the southwest burbs (alsip).  Owl Hardwood is really the only resource around, other than amazon.com :) 

+1 Owl...they're basically all we got.

4 hours ago, Joeitalia7 said:

Woodridge isn't that far, but its also not very convenient.  They had a location in Libertyville, right by me, but apparently that closed before I moved into the area.  They must have seen me coming!

There's still down SW burbs somewhere...a friend in Downer's goes there.   Although I wouldn't consider a Woodcraft a great source of anything. :P

4 hours ago, Vyrolan said:

There's still down SW burbs somewhere...a friend in Downer's goes there.   Although I wouldn't consider a Woodcraft a great source of anything. :P

Never been to woodcraft mostly because it's not close, but I should check it out one day. Anyone take any CLC classes? I hear they stopped offering them recently

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the site and a north suburbanite as well. I'm in Wilmette and interested in getting together to share projects/tips/stories/etc. 

I just posted my first major project over here:

Nothing compared to the real artistry I see posted by users on here and by Marc, but I'm always learning.

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon all,

I'm all the way out in Cary. I was looking around for a wood resource other than Owl and I have found a small one in East Dundee called Great Spirit Hardwoods. I have been there a few times and the family that runs the place is very friendly and willing to help.

I'm pretty new to the woodworking world. I've only used Rockler in Schaumburg or Bolingbrook and the Woodcraft in Woodridge for a few things. Are there any other places to check out?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Joe, and Jordan.

Kettle Moraine hardwoods, about ten miles over the Wisconsin border is by far superior to Owl. They have every imaginable wood you could want, there prices are posted online. I live in Kenosha, and they are my only source, except having tree's milled.  Trust me, it is worth the trip.

• 3 months later...

Hello, from Schaumburg area.  I use a place in Sycamore for most of my hardwoods, pretty good selection of domestic they have some imported. They are called Hardwood connections, also there  is a guy in the Rockford area that does it for spare money in his retirement for extra money as well as some one in the Woodstock that does it as a hobby I do not recall their names. 

• Like 1