Air Conditioner

Coop

This heat's hell. I hate to hash old meat, as I recall a thread or two from last year about air conditioning for the shop, but my searches turned up nothing. And since I was a lot younger last year, i didn't see the need for one. Can some of you fortunate enough to work in the confines of a cool shop share what you're using and the pros and cons? I'd hate to know I had to stay in the house all summer and watch Martha and Opra reruns while working crossword puzzles and drinking beer! 

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

This heat's hell. I hate to hash old meat, as I recall a thread or two from last year about air conditioning for the shop, but my searches turned up nothing. And since I was a lot younger last year, i didn't see the need for one. Can some of you fortunate enough to work in the confines of a cool shop share what you're using and the pros and cons? I'd hate to know I had to stay in the house all summer and watch Martha and Opra reruns while working crossword puzzles and drinking beer! 

Coop, PM Tom Cancellieri he added a pretty good unit to his shop, but I don't remember the thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Coop, PM Tom Cancellieri he added a pretty good unit to his shop, but I don't remember the thread.

In my search, the only two I came up with was Tom mentioning he had one and Dave saying he left room for one if ever needed. I will pm Tom. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Shop is on the north side of the house & is very well insulated so there are very few days when it's not comfortable in there.

No smart ass remarks from me this winter about y'all's winter, I promise?

My shop is almost always too cool so no help there.

But if you end up getting a ductless mini split don't go with the Lennox I did in my house. Mine is not quiet and the fan never shuts down in A/C mode even if you are below the set temp. I'm sure Lennox has good ones; they are a reputable manufacturer. Just be sure to look at the fine print and see if reviews say it is quiet and that it works on a thermostat (both the fan and the heating/cooling system).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, davewyo said:

My shop is almost always too cool so no help there.

But if you end up getting a ductless mini split don't go with the Lennox I did in my house. Mine is not quiet and the fan never shuts down in A/C mode even if you are below the set temp. I'm sure Lennox has good ones; they are a reputable manufacturer. Just be sure to look at the fine print and see if reviews say it is quiet and that it works on a thermostat (both the fan and the heating/cooling system).

That's exactly the help I'm looking for as I just googled that same unit. Thanks

how do you look up a member here, as in Tom?

24 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I'm fortunate enough where simply good insulation keeps my shop around 70 in the dead of summer.  Point being, if your shop isn't well insulated, that's where I'd start.

When I built it, I insulated all of the walls and ceiling and one of the overheads. The other I leave open to allow a drain for my sweat band ( and for neighbors to see that I'm home to bum beer and cigars).

I put in a portable unit. 14,000 BTU. I would have loved a mini split, but dealing with the HOA and having to say yes I'm putting an AC unit outside deal with it would have been more hassle than I wanted to go through. I've had my shop as cold as 64 degrees on a 100 degree day last summer. Insulation is king to help keep the hot out and cold in.

• Like 2

Damn Ross, I can relate to that, especially yesterday. I can't describe the misery, well, yes I can but the mods would eliminate the reply. My wife came out and after one look, suggested I get an a/c. Immediately I realized I married up!

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

No.. I will not tell you. 

Come on dude, we all know where you're a/c $$ went! You'll never live that down! Promise to never bring it up again? Not!

1 minute ago, Brian Sengele said:

Can't say I envy you for living in Houston Coop. It sound like your best option for a comfortable shop is to move. Personally I just use a 36" fan set to high to push the mosquitos and the humidity out

Brian, wish me luck. I'm 78 yo, with 28 years left on a 30 year mortgage and two kids, 5 & 7 years old, and a 32 yo bride. Where would I move?

1 hour ago, Brian Sengele said:

Can't say I envy you for living in Houston Coop. It sound like your best option for a comfortable shop is to move. Personally I just use a 36" fan set to high to push the mosquitos and the humidity out

Leave it to the other guy from Texas to tell you to just move...it's what we were all thinking but afraid to say :)

• Like 1

I'm fortunate to live in a temperate climate where generally it neither gets too cold nor too hot. I rebuilt my shop around 4 years ago and insulated the heck out of it including all doors (it previously was a 2 stall free standing brick garage). That made a real difference and I can use it year round now. Previously it was too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer due to the lack of insulation making it unpleasant but not impossible to work. 

So even where I live it was difficult sometimes. Now though things really are different and the installation of insulation has been the game changer for me.

If on the rare days when it does get a little hot I open the door slightly and use a floor standing fan to pull the hot air inside out - point the air flow out of the door. I open the window near the bench to create a cross flow and it really does work.

Years of cooling server rooms when the A/C failed taught me this trick.

I installed a split system during Autumn (Southern hemisphere so we are now in Winter in Australia) and it is excellent. The unit cost me $700 Au and I installed myself. It has a 3.5 to 1 energy efficiency which basically means for every kilowatt of electricity I use I get 3.5 kilowatts of heat or cool. Works in 2 minutes from turn on and my 12,000 BTU unit heats and cools my shop. 13 metres x 5 metres by 2.5 metres tall. The shop is also fully insulated except for the garage door.

WP_20160318_017.jpg

WP_20160322_010.jpg

WP_20160410_011.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davestanton said:

I installed a split system during Autumn (Southern hemisphere so we are now in Winter in Australia) and it is excellent. The unit cost me $700 Au and I installed myself. It has a 3.5 to 1 energy efficiency which basically means for every kilowatt of electricity I use I get 3.5 kilowatts of heat or cool. Works in 2 minutes from turn on and my 12,000 BTU unit heats and cools my shop. 13 metres x 5 metres by 2.5 metres tall. The shop is also fully insulated except for the garage door.

WP_20160322_010.jpg

Dave where did you find or what is the cover you have on the pipes going from the condenser to the inside unit