Used the new rasps - Spokeshave

Ronn W

19 minutes ago, sjk said:

What did you think of the Veritas kit?

The parts are well made.  The blade is a good blade (harder steel than my chisels) and was fairly easy to hone The instructions are quite detailed.  They include instructions for the handle but I used the magazine's. 

8 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Seriously though it came out real nice, makes me want to go this route when I have the time.  Do they sell a kit for the other spokeshaves?

Veritas has a small and a large spokeshave it.  Mine was the small.

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=125

If any one runs across a kit for a round spoke shave, let me know.  Actually, I guess, the hardware might be the same.  Just body construction would be different but I would need some guidance on how to shape it.  For those of you the used spokeshaves - Is the round more useful than the flat?

BTW.  The paduk was not a good choice since the grain can tear easily if you catch it the wrong way.  The cutting of the ware on the inside requires cross grain chisel work.  If you use a really dense wood, you can forego the brass wear plate.

• 1 month later...

I am making a practice piece of a "twisted" leg.  The hardest part is getting each surface to be "flat" so the corners are nice and sharp after using rasps for the rough work. The spokeshave works well for that.

It's a piece of junk wood, but good for practice.

P1010001.JPG

• Like 1