Hand-me-down Planes

Joeitalia7

My father recently gave me three of his old planes that he's had for many years.  One is a Stanley block plane, the second is a Stanley #5 Jack Plane, and the third is a wooden jointer plane.  They're all semi-functional, but i'd love to clean them up.  Definitely a lot of rust that i'd like to remove, sharpening, flattening, etc. In addition, the wood appears to be quite dirty (the kind that seems to be pasted on).  

One person I spoke with told me "those are antiques, don't change them!".  However; i have no intention of ever selling them and would rather use them for life.  Curious as to everyones opinions on that matter, and if you were to clean them up, what kind of process is recommended so that I can keep their integrity.  

There are a few planes such as a Stanley #1 that collectors will pay over and above the value of a working plane, in which case better ask a collectors forum. But for a block plane, a #5 and an old wooden jointer - Even if you were planning on selling them one day, the market is flooded with dirty rusty old planes.

Unless you're sentimentally attached to "my dad's dirt, rust and damage" then nobody else is: clean them up, sharpen them up, use them, enjoy.

16 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Did you remake the tote on that Richard or is that restored?  Either way that plane looks great.

Same tote, same knob, all original, and takes a slice as thick as you need!  Hell of a deal, a freebie boat anchor turned into a damn useful tool!

• Like 1