streaming air traffic controller audio

weelis

Trying to stream air traffic control audios on my android.  Anybody do this and, if so, how are u doing it.  I am ama

ateur radio operator but all radios are down right now.  I can do it on them, but would like to do it on my phon  Anyt help appreciated.. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

http://www.liveatc.net/

Have a few friends that work ATC. Have a few friends that are HAMs. Have a LOT of friends that are nerds.

+1

Using LIveATC, you just put in airport 4 letter identifier and listen to most control towers around the country.

You can actually listen to archives and listen to past transmissions.  By the way, listening to ATC is not necessarily a nerd activity.  It is good resource for pilots :-)

2 hours ago, wnaziri said:

+1

Using LIveATC, you just put in airport 4 letter identifier and listen to most control towers around the country.

You can actually listen to archives and listen to past transmissions.  By the way, listening to ATC is not necessarily a nerd activity.  It is good resource for pilots :-)

Oh i didn't mean that listening to ATC was nerdy i just meant that i have seriously nerdy friends. After posting that i listened to MSP for like an hour it was kinda fun.

44 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Mabe you could listen to transmissions about plane crashes.There is a show on tv about that.

As I a pilot, I often learn a lot from listening to ATC with flights that don't go well.  On the negative side, I hate cases where you know fatalities happen.  I can not listen to those cases.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

After posting that i listened to MSP for like an hour it was kinda fun.

Before I fly into an unknown airport, I like to listen and get an idea of what to anticipate.  It can be quite helpful.

• Like 1

Listening to MSP Approach control (more than one frequency) is even more interesting than tower if you can get it..  They are handling all the traffic into MSP and all the traffic to the 7 smaller airports.  On nice days when all the pilots want to practice their instrument approaches it can be very busy.  I once had approach control tell me and everyone else on the frequency, " OK, its getting crowded out there and I don't want any of you in the same place and the same time, so everyone pay attention."

6 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Listening to MSP Approach control (more than one frequency) is even more interesting than tower if you can get it..  They are handling all the traffic into MSP and all the traffic to the 7 smaller airports.  On nice days when all the pilots want to practice their instrument approaches it can be very busy.  I once had approach control tell me and everyone else on the frequency, " OK, its getting crowded out there and I don't want any of you in the same place and the same time, so everyone pay attention."

I imagine listening to GFK airport would be VERY entertaining. It handles all the student traffic for UND. Listening to some people i know that were instructors the Air China students can be VERY entertaining.

A Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:

Lufthansa (in German): “Ground, what is our start clearance time?”

Ground (in English): “If you want an answer, you must speak in English.”

Lufthansa (in English): “I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?”

Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): “Because you lost the bloody war.”

from Nick Scipio's website, collection of Aviation stories

In his book, Sled Driver, SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul writes:

“I’ll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt (my back-seater) and I were screaming across Southern California 13 miles high. We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles airspace. Though they didn’t really control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope. I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its ground speed.”

“90 knots,” Center replied.

Moments later, a Twin Beech required the same.

“120 knots,” Center answered.

We weren’t the only ones proud of our ground speed that day as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted, “Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests ground speed readout.”

There was a slight pause, then the response, “525 knots on the ground, Dusty.”

Another silent pause. As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my back-seater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison.

“Center, Aspen 20, you got a ground speed readout for us?”

There was a longer than normal pause.

“Aspen, I show 1,742 knots.”

No further inquiries were heard on that frequency.

In another famous SR-71 story, Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600 (60,000 ft). The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, “How do you plan to get up to 60,000 feet?

The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, “We don’t plan to go up to it, we plan to go down to it.”

He was cleared.

Another from Nicks site. 

I have been a fan of the SR-71 since I read about it as a boy. Spent about an hour walking around one at the new Air and Space museum near the DC airport.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have been a fan of the SR-71 since I read about it as a boy. Spent about an hour walking around one at the new Air and Space museum near the DC airport.

Me to! I've seen 3 of them at various museums. Love those SR-71 stories too.

43 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I just have to ask since no one else has yet...WHY?

As in "why listen to ATC?

Love of flying!

Those of us who love to fly, can not get enough of it.  I would love to fly everyday but obviously can't.  However, I can get a similar experience listening in on others who are doing what you really love to do.   Flying, like woodworking, is a bug that bites you.  Once bitten, it is hard to escape.  I got the bug at a young age.  I am not sure one chooses it or if there is genetic predisposition for it.  That's all I got to say 'bout that.

Pilots are abit like submariners. Jus a liiiiiitle different from everyone else.

Had a visit with my uncle last night, former chopper jockey in Viet Nam, then commercial airline pilot. Now part of a club south of Atlanta that restores any flies military aircraft, mostly helicopters. Flying enthusiasm oozes out of him.