Stringing Figured Wood

How wide is the groove? I've used both a dremel tool (with base) and a 1/4" router to cut inlay channels. At 1/8" groove, I find the router to be more stable for following a pattern free hand. Dunno if you can get router bits much smaller, but another recent post mentions using a dremel with 1/64" bit to do inlay work on guitars.

I use a Dremel with 1/64" spiral bits when inlaying guitars - I also use bigger ones up to 3/16" in the Dremel. Stringing with a Dremel is a good way to go. Get the base for the Dremel and cutters from StewMac. You sometimes need to get a collet adapter as the shank on some of them are smaller than the regular Dremel collet size. Again StewMac sell them too.

Down spirals will produce a cleaner cut at the surface but only take shallow cuts as they can overheat quickly (especially at these small diameters).

I've plowed many miles of stringing using a trim router and spiral router bit. You can get 1/4" shanks bits at a 1/16" diameter (size I generally use), but the reach or tip is short. If you're working with a pattern, you'll need a longer cutting tip. For that I go to inlaybandings.com for 1/8" shank bits with 1/16" cutting diameters. You'll also need a collet adapter to use it in a router. And, it helps to turn down the speed.

Thanks for all of the great advice....I recently picked up some highly figured walnut veneer and I'm considering using it on this project ( still in planning stage). I have a Veritas stringing tool and it works great on most wood types; however, it occasionally creates large defects when cutting figured wood. That's why I was inquiring about the Dremel.