How do you store your plywood?

lewisc

Full/partial sheets are stored vertically simply leaning against the wall with the widest edge resting on scrap softwood bearers on the floor. I only have a few in stock at any time and the lumber yard store the rest (just like Ross).

On a visit to a pro-shop I noticed a sign warning of a fine for anyone storing plywood directly onto the concrete floor.  since then I always make sure there is something between my plywood and the garage floor.  I try not to keep any around for very long, but I go vertical when I do.

I tried the cart thing, but it took up a lot of space and wasn't very stable when loaded up with several sheets. If you go this way, make sure you use casters that will handle the weight - sheet goods weigh 50-100lbs per sheet. Be sure to include the wood you make it out of in your calculations. When picking castors, make sure that they won't deform when left in one place. I would use steel if I were to do it again. I used black rubber wheels the first time and they flattened from the load.

I gave up on the cart and the huge amount of floor apace it chewed up and went with a vertical rack. It has a 3' x 4' footprint, can be loaded with more than a dozen sheets and has room for partial sheets. Easier to access too.

Something to add: if you go with vertical storage, be careful where you locate your lights.....???

Anybody know a good source for fluorescent tubes....(I'm actually converting to plastic tube LED's soon and moving that fixture).

8 hours ago, Robby W said:

Something to add: if you go with vertical storage, be careful where you locate your lights.....???

Anybody know a good source for fluorescent tubes....(I'm actually converting to plastic tube LED's soon and moving that fixture).

True words.

Wire guards are your friend. I've had numerous occasions to be glad I put them on my lights.

• Like 1

Yeah. I hung the lights before I built the rack, then didn't bother to move the fixture. I haven't really broken any tubes, but it is a pain to maneuver a full sheet of stock around it. At the time, it seemed like the place to put it. The fixture will be moved during my next reorganization, which is coming as soon as I finish the bookcase build that never ends. Just thought I would toss up the caution so others could avoid the mistake.