How to add a bead to a piece of molding

I am making a shaker-style peg-board. It is basically just a 10 ft. length of 3/4" pine with a wooden peg every 10 in. or so. The Shaker's used to hang everything up on pegs. 

The Shakers would add a small bead along the top and bottom of these boards, and I'd like to as well. They did it with a hand plane, I'm sure. I do not own a hand plane that can be used to make a bead like that. I'd also like to avoid buying an expensive bead molding cutter for my table saw if I can avoid it. I may be screwed, and just have to buy one of the other, but I thought I'd ask you guys first. I know I could set up a router table to add a tiny roundover along each side down the length of the board. That would start the "bead." but I cannot think of a way to create the second roundover to complete the beads. 

What do you guys think?

A piece of scrap with a bandsaw kerf in it, two pan head woods screws and a piece of worn out Sawzall blade.  File profile into blade with a rat tail file, polish surfaces and away you go.

scratch-stock-001.jpg

I practiced on a prototype made of pallet-wood.

22-GH Cab trim detail.jpg

I also used in on the cherry ship lap panels that made the back of the "keeper" verrsion.

GH Wall Cabinet- 016.jpg

GH Wall Cabinet- 017.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeautysBeast said:

Forgive my ignorance, but is scratch stock mean you are more or less just scratching the groove/bead in?

yes that's essentially it. A scratch-stock is just a scraper that is shaped to the profile you want, held in a block of wood to act as a fence ... then you scrape it along the edge to scratch out the profile. Works really well along the grain, but sometimes can tear the wood fibres a bit across grain - as always sharpness helps.

I did it!!! The combined cost of my DIY beading plane = .32 cents!!!

I watched a video on YouTube by Peter Sellers; the English gent who talks slowly and makes you want to throw away all your power tools. He made a "poor man's beading tool."  It is a 2" x 2" square piece of a 2"x4" that fits perfectly in the palm of your hand (you can round the thing over if you want to.).

• You take a flat #12 or #14 wood screw with the beveling under the screw head.
  • Pre-drill and countersink a hole in the center of the chunk of wood, Screw the screw all the way in until it rests just a micron short of being flush with the wood face.
  • Then you take a metal file, and file the screw head dead flat with the wood. This sharpens the edges of the screw. 
  • Then you back it out 2-3 turns to the desired bead radius, and you've made a tiny hand plane that you can run along the board like a marking gauge going progressively deeper until you have the bead channel carved. 
  • Then you just take a tiny hand plane or even some 120 sandpaper, and round over the edge to create the other side of the bead. 

Works perfectly! Takes a good while to do, but it isn't bad work. I did an 8 ft. pine board sitting in a chair on my porch last night. Took about an hour. 

On 6/19/2016 at 2:46 PM, JohnDi said:

check out Paul Sellers videos, he shows how to make a simple scratch stock.

I just saw this post JohnDi... Ha!!! Thanks Buddy! I appreciate you posting. Peter Seller's video did the trick!