Bird's Mouth router bit is the Cat's Meow

PeteJr

For the record:

• stave width is 4 1/4 "
    • the stave width determines the overall diameter of the column which in this case is 10 1/4"
  • stock thickness is .825"
  • bit height is .908"
    • used a digital height gauge to measure from the router table surface to the top edge of the carbide
  • the stock thickness and bit height are related
    • you want the the stave flush with the tip of the bird's mouth for a good fit and finish
    • I arrived at the proper bit height by trial and error however there must be a way to calculate this
  • Additional info

CIMG0005.JPG

• Like 1

Decided to reinforce the column with 3 plywood inserts (top, middle and close to the bottom).

Cut them on the bandsaw and used the belt sander to fine tune the fit.  Chose plywood for it's dimensional stability.  They will add rigidity and strength to the column.

CIMG0003.JPG

• Like 1

My best friend Kevin offered up his horizontal drill press to drill out the holes for the hangar bolts.  The holes are perfectly aligned and parallel to the staves.

These bolts will fasten the column to the top plate.  The top plate carries the geared slides for the table top. 

CIMG0004 (1).JPG

CIMG0001 (6).JPG

22 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have used those wooden slides as well. Osbourne also treated me well .

Steve,

Do I need to be concerned with tabletop movement from changes in humidity when I attach the Osborne slides to the underside of the tabletop?

Attach each half of the top with a single fixed screw in the center and a slotted screw either side of it. That lets each side move however it needs and might prevent the top sections from bowing or cupping. Allow for 1/8" of movement per ft of top width (cross grain )

• Like 1

On 6/29/2016 at 10:49 PM, wdwerker said:

Attach each half of the top with a single fixed screw in the center and a slotted screw either side of it. That lets each side move however it needs and might prevent the top sections from bowing or cupping. Allow for 1/8" of movement per ft of top width (cross grain )

Steve,

How do these slotted holes look?

CIMG0001 (5).JPG