Natural Edge

KSUBANKER

I am pretty sure that is going to be difficult. I have found some bark will hang on stubbornly and other areas pop off if you look at them wrong. I have also had bark that hung on let go after finishing.  Maybe you could keep the bark sections and epoxy them back on.

I don't understand wanting to keep bark on a live edge piece. Seems like it will collect dust & schmutz & be really hard to clean. Or if you saturate it with epoxy or some other stabilizing agent, it will just look like plastic.

Not being critical or combative, but is there something I'm missing?

For some species, when the tree is cut down has a lot to do with how tightly the bark hangs on.  Tress cut in the spring will drop bark quicker because of the fresh growth of the cambium layer.  In any case, if you are not too aggressive in removing the bark you will have a nice textured, undulating edge the can look really cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a piece of a log in my back yard, that I use for splitting wood, as a foot rest, as a step stool, and to put the tongue of my trailer on. Years ago (at least 5) I had another one, and it finally just fell apart because it was untreated. I really liked this one because it was the perfect size, AND it was relatively flat on the top. I bought some pour on sealer, and brushed it all over the log. top bottom and even on the bark. I bet I put 5 coats on it.  The bark has never fallen off, and the log has never rotted. It has been outside, through 5 Wisconsin winters and is still in great shape. I would think this would work for keeping the bark on a slab.