What kind of wood should I use?

Kyle

I would not use

50 minutes ago, Kyle said:

PVC? As in polyvinyl?

PVC trim will last forever, but in my opinion it still looks like plastic even after you paint it. As far as types of natural wood I would find something that is decay resistant. On my house I used cedar to wrap the porch posts and it made a huge difference

579500_4982120030914_1682712762_n.jpg

1240115_10200637383677148_1552460236_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Ronn W said:

+1 Cedar or Treated.  When I had a cedar fence installed I was told to leave it exposed for a few months before painting it.  You might want to double check on that.

Treated lumber sucks...I get that the process helps it stave off rot and decay, but the chemicals are nasty/unhealthy, and its pretty hard/impossible to buy that stuff anywhere without it being so wet that it's dripping...hard to keep them straight before you use them like that.  I've used it for stuff that is basically making contact with the ground, but I'd avoid it if at all possible.

Whether I would take the time to do something nice with cedar or a similar wood might depend on the local weather and how much direct exposure the posts will face. I'd also take into consideration whether this was the front of the house that will be visible everyday (and a selling point in the future), or just a part of the house that is less visible... @Kyle Got a picture?

I know I'll take some flak for this, but I don't like PVC. There are a thousand good reasons to use it, but I just hate the way it looks. It's too perfect, smooth & shiny. Vinyl siding I just hate. & PVC fences are even worse. Although PVC trim, once it's painted can look alright.

There are higher grades of treated lumber but it may have to be special order. I pick through the 2x6 treated and buy a few of the cleanest pieces and store them in the shop to dry out. Then I have some on hand when the need pops up. The new treated isn't near as toxic as in the old days but gloves and masks  should still be used.

10 hours ago, Andy Wright said:

PVC trim will last forever, but in my opinion it still looks like plastic even after you paint it.

No argument there but depending on what kind of house you have it may still be the best choice.  I have a regular ranch-style suburban crackerbox with mostly vinyl siding.  My columns are horrible builder-special wrapped aluminum and I plan to re-wrap them with PVC in a frame-and-panel design, then paint it.  It won't look like wood, but nothing on the house looks like wood.  So I don't care.

I can see why you would want something classier on your house (great house by the way...and HUGE...jeez), but while you're out there stripping and staining those posts every year to keep them looking nice, I'll be in my shop doing better things.