Built in Men's Closet

Brendon_t

6 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

What'd you have to pay for a sheet of that mahogany ply? 

I'm going  with 3/4"  plywood boxes and solid face frames  

The plywood wasn't terrible.  $79 a sheet. It is American with very few voids I have seen.  I do wish the face  veneer was quite bit thicker. 

• Like 1

I built plenty of very nice projects before I got my tracksaw. Careful attention to setting up the straightedge, tape on crosscuts, and the best blade possible for a decent circular saw work wonders.

I have learned to sand ply cautiously especially near the edges and super careful at the corners. I use my ROS but never let more than 1/4 of the machine hang over the edge. Use 220 grit and never tip the sander, very flat picking it up too. Overlapping passes give a more uniform surface.

Looks like a fun project !

• Like 2

I would agree on Khaya . I've never seen Sapele ply labeled as A. Mahogany ply in domestic US ply.  The Sapele stuff is beautiful, special order and pricey.

Usually the solid stock is the same around here.

If it's labeled A. Mahogany Khaya is a safe bet. Sapele tends to cost a bit more. However I have found a few stray Sapele boards in a stack of Khaya but never the other way around.

• Like 1

With the wife and kids at a BBQ for the afternoon, I actually got some time in the oven I call a shop. First started by finishing cutting up the full sheets into smaller component sized parts. Then came the task of marking out locations for about a gazillion dominos.

Being that this is my first major project using the domino, I took my time while laying out. In order to ensure I was always marking the same  spots and always referencing from the front, I made a little story stick that I would spring clamp to the boards and always have the same mortices. I'm happy to say I didn't screw any up.

I assembled the outside case pieces and center divider then cut the inside pieces to exact length. I'm glad I waited because my on paper measurements were about an 1/8" short.

Finished a two hour sweating session by a little dry fit just to make me feel good about it.  It worked.

Having problems with uploading photos*will get them up soon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Good on Ya for the shop time. Pm me if you need computer tech help on the pics?

Haha I may take you up on that. 

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Good for you for not screwing up any domino holes on your first job with it ! emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The project is still young. Although I did drop about 45 in just the bottom section so that's a good start I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I mean too big and heavy to lift off alone stuck. Luckily my neighbor is back tomorrow from a 6 day fishing trip so I'll make him help me get er down. 

21 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Pretty sure he means too heavy. If its still stuck in a couple weekends I might be able to help you out ;)

If you're going to be up around here, let me know.  You can help me drink a few beers.

Got a bit of time this weekend. The casework is finally done. 

Lots of dry fits, lots of finessing, lots of clamping and un clamping rockler square clamps.

the backs are sitting in half inch rabbets in the back of the frame but currently just tacked in with 4 brads each at this point. I want the backs off for ease of finishing when that time comes. 

I started the face frames this weekend but unfortunately, my great plan of using one huge board for all the face frames went to hell when I started cutting it lengthwise and the pieces bowed all to hell.  On a 60" run, I had almost 1/2" of bow.  Put a little pause on that for a minute.

On a very good tip from my dad before the glue up, I measured to see if the whole thing could turn the corner into the room and luckily being caught now, it can't so the top section and bottom section are not glued, just sitting on the 10mm dominoes. I will finally assemble them together in place in the office.

Last few finitely of the night was testing a few finishes. This test board was hand wiped ars. God I love that stuff.

4920eac78affe668db1466038bf176af.jpg62b23ffc5ec64d4dbe8c7e53e712f454.jpgcbe8f4761440d4199d60e32b7fc762c9.jpgf8749319d328e09c9656e5da574c67af.jpg

• Like 1

You are lucky to have caught that before glue up. I had to cut a large cabinet in half on the loading dock of a bank downtown 20 + years ago. Now I measure all the way from the final location to the loading dock. Tight turns are sometimes worse than doorways.

Looking good !

• 2 weeks later...

Do you ever feel like you take a bunch of steps and it feels like progress is going backwards then one step feels like a shot forward out of a cannon?

That last one was me today. Milling face frame material, re milling face frame material then drum sanding to exact same dimensions, measuring, cutting all took a long time. Partially because I was only hitting it for about 10-20 minutes at a time when time allowed and partially because there isn't much to see.

Today after kid #2's basketball game, I finally made it to attaching the face frames to the lower cabinet and that hour and a half made all the grumble worth it. Next step will be to finish sand and pre finish the bottom cabinet, then the whole unit goes into it's home where I can face frame the top.819494b85a2f6bc302e957c64841e24e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2