Who is planning on building along with the wall cabinet project?

WoodClips

So, who is planning on building along with the wall cabinet guild build?

Marc's plan reminds me of my tool cabinet, which I built a number of years ago from a Woodsmith magazine plan. It is a good reminder that these cabinets can serve a lot of purposes besides holding your toilet paper stash.

post-2855-0-28068900-1293596984_thumb.jp

My plan is to build a pair of cabinets for the bathroom. Both will be based off the same basic concept, but will be adapted slightly for their specific uses. The first is going to be a medicine cabinet with a mirror on the front that is inset into the wall, so I'm going to have to make some modifications to add a face frame to cover the gap between the cabinet and the rough opening in the wall. The second will be for storage above the toilet and will be similar to Marc's plan, but possibly scaled down a bit to fit the space I have available.

Time to hit the drawing board. Looking forward to the videos starting up.

Rory

So, who is planning on building along with the wall cabinet guild build?

Marc's plan reminds me of my tool cabinet, which I built a number of years ago from a Woodsmith magazine plan. It is a good reminder that these cabinets can serve a lot of purposes besides holding your toilet paper stash.

post-2855-0-28068900-1293596984_thumb.jp

My plan is to build a pair of cabinets for the bathroom. Both will be based off the same basic concept, but will be adapted slightly for their specific uses. The first is going to be a medicine cabinet with a mirror on the front that is inset into the wall, so I'm going to have to make some modifications to add a face frame to cover the gap between the cabinet and the rough opening in the wall. The second will be for storage above the toilet and will be similar to Marc's plan, but possibly scaled down a bit to fit the space I have available.

Time to hit the drawing board. Looking forward to the videos starting up.

Rory

I'm all geared up and ready to go. I'm making mine out of Mahogany, what wood choices have you made or have you yet?

Dave

I'm all geared up and ready to go. I'm making mine out of Mahogany, what wood choices have you made or have you yet?

You'll enjoy working with the mahogany--really nice tight grain and super easy to work with. I built a chest once out of mahogany and it was some of the nicest stuff I've ever used, of course it cost $10 a bdft, but who's counting?

Unfortunately, my cabinets are going to be painted to match the lovely 1950's tile colors in our bathroom, so I'll probably be using poplar. I hate the idea of painting a project, but I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would go with yellow tiles and a pinkish border. If anyone has any painting tips I'd love to hear them. My experience has been that latex house paint is usually too thick and you end up with brush strokes and runs, so my plan is to thin it down a bit with Floetrol and experiment on some scraps first.

Rory

You'll enjoy working with the mahogany--really nice tight grain and super easy to work with. I built a chest once out of mahogany and it was some of the nicest stuff I've ever used, of course it cost $10 a bdft, but who's counting?

Unfortunately, my cabinets are going to be painted to match the lovely 1950's tile colors in our bathroom, so I'll probably be using poplar. I hate the idea of painting a project, but I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would go with yellow tiles and a pinkish border. If anyone has any painting tips I'd love to hear them. My experience has been that latex house paint is usually too thick and you end up with brush strokes and runs, so my plan is to thin it down a bit with Floetrol and experiment on some scraps first.

Rory

:) Maybe paint them with a pinkish milk paint then overcoat with a yellow milk paint then sand the edges through to the pink. Bet there's an antique yellow milk paint that might look good with it, if that's what you were going to match.

I usually get pretty smooth painting on poplar. The black has so much asphaltum that it can show brush marks, but then I've only painted with pitch black in summer when the heat sets it on the brush. Paint two coats of primer then sand it smooth. Usually the final coat goes on nicely. Gotta use a Purdy brush, though. Makes a big difference.

I plan on building one as well. I am getting ready to take a class here in Ohio on hand cutting dovetails. I'm hoping that Bell Forest Products has the kit out shortly. Hardwood is hard to find here in Columbus.

Allen Lindsey ("Allen in Ohio") works at a Woodcraft that may be close to you. He's posted some excellent specials they've had and it seems like that particular store has a pretty wide selection at reasonable prices. Might be worth PMing him to find out where.

I plan on building one as well. I am getting ready to take a class here in Ohio on hand cutting dovetails. I'm hoping that Bell Forest Products has the kit out shortly. Hardwood is hard to find here in Columbus.

I just moved from Dayton and I can point you to great places to get wood in OH. The first one I would recommend is Muterspaw in Xenia. It is an hour and a half or so from you, but definitely worth the drive. Best prices I have found on good quality hardwood. I also think he has recently become a woodwhisperer advertiser and may have a guild discount.

They are indeed an advertiser now and unfortunately we do not have a discount with them. Bell Forest and KJP Select Hardwoods (Canada) are the only ones we have at the moment. But maybe I can talk Chad into offering a discount for our members. :)

His prices are already so low he may have a hard time offering to much of a price break. He is a great guy to do business with. When I moved from Dayton to Albuquerque earlier this year I brought about 600 bd ft of cherry and curly maple with me. Seeing the Albuquerque lumber prices, I am glad I did

Rory

I do love working with Mahogany for sure. It's my wood of choice right now for two reasons. First, I'm trying to furnish my first floor with all handmade wood furniture and I love the look of it when it's finished with a mixture of BLO, Turpentine and good Spar varnish. Second, we have a wood distributor here named Hogans hardwoods and in a conversation with them trying to get a better price on some Mahogany he asked if I could use "shorts". He said if I could he'd make me a great deal on them. He made me a deal if I bought all they had I could have it for 3.55 PBF. I didn't realize "shorts" in Mahogany were 7' and 8' long, so I ended up with about 2000BF and all my sheds are full. I had to really bite the bullet, but I got some great wood at about a third the price. There are a few premium yacht yards here and they only want long, wide boards so they had accumulated this over a while he said. I'm set for several years I think.

Dave

I'm thinking of doing a wall hanging Jewelry box for my wife. I've been meaning to build one for her. It will be smaller, have drawers inside the cabinet, and I also plan on going a little G&G on it. I hope to sketch out some ideas over the next few days.

I just moved from Dayton and I can point you to great places to get wood in OH. The first one I would recommend is Muterspaw in Xenia. It is an hour and a half or so from you, but definitely worth the drive. Best prices I have found on good quality hardwood. I also think he has recently become a woodwhisperer advertiser and may have a guild discount.

Thank you. I'm actually in Marysville, so Xenia is not that far away. Thanks again...

Todd

I got sign off from the wife to participate :) She just needs to pick where its going in the house and any changes so I can make a lumber run on monday (or I'm turning it into a tool cabinet).

Speaking of lumber... for those of you in OH http://www.yoderlumber.com/ has insanely good prices!!! (example: 4/4 prime cherry $3.14-$3.46/bf, 4/4 prime walnut $3.20-$4.20/bf).... at least I've not seen many places better. It's about an hour drive for me and they are only open on weekdays but well worth the trip! They are really more a major bulk distributer but because there are so many Amish woodworkers in the area they will sell in small single board quantities as well. Just tell them what you want and they are happy to go get a forklift full for you to sort through :)

Last time I was there I bought 2x 12/4 ash boards for $2.80/bf.

Here is the Google map location of the retail sales office:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=40.507553,-81.885269%20

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined today and I'm in for the build. Wish me luck - I think the last woodworking project I did was back in shop class in the 8th grade :-). But I've done a lot of my own carpentry and trim when I did a full remodel of my kitchen, so I'm pretty familiar with power tools and respect thereof.

I'm still setting up my shop (in new home - huge 2nd garage / workshop), and have pretty much all the necessary powertools (I went all Grizzly - except for a Sawstop table saw). Only thing left is getting the planer set up and I'll be ready to start milling away (once I finish purchasing the stock).

I've got 6 sticks of cherry, 5 1/2" x 6' and one 8"x6', some thin (5") maple and walnut (but that's spoken for when I do a cutting board). I'm thinking of doing Cherry with something else for door panels. Suggestions? Not sure what might be good to go along with Cherry. I have some pretty good sources around here (San Jose / Bay Area), but probably don't want to get too fancy at this point...

Cheers -

Stu