Center rail for platform bed

I would like to get the communities input on a build I'm designing.  My adult son has asked that I build him a Tatami style platform queen-size bed.  I have a design I like and plan to start the build in the next few weeks.  The one issue I am having is due to the bed being queen size, there will need to be a center rail to support the slats and mattress/futon  For aesthetics I would like to not have to incorporate a center leg to support the center rail and was thinking about using a modified flitch beam using a hardwood sandwich with either 1/8" (or possibly thicker) aluminum or steel. I would think this should provide sufficient rigidity to span the distance and not bow.   Is this a crazy idea or should I just put a foot on the center beam.  

Thanks for your input.  

2 hours ago, Eric Anderson said:

I would like to get the communities input on a build I'm designing.  My adult son has asked that I build him a Tatami style platform queen-size bed.  I have a design I like and plan to start the build in the next few weeks.  The one issue I am having is due to the bed being queen size, there will need to be a center rail to support the slats and mattress/futon  For aesthetics I would like to not have to incorporate a center leg to support the center rail and was thinking about using a modified flitch beam using a hardwood sandwich with either 1/8" (or possibly thicker) aluminum or steel. I would think this should provide sufficient rigidity to span the distance and not bow.   Is this a crazy idea or should I just put a foot on the center beam.  

Thanks for your input.  

I would like to see the plan when you finalize it. I too have a bed design (King) kicking around in my head and I too want to use  clear span construction.

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Eric, I think Eric is correct, you probably don't need a metal core. But if you do it anyway, use aluminum. Steel is excessively heavy.

Way to drag something quickly derailed back on track Ross!

Since the "foot" would be in the center of the bed and under the mattress, just curious,  how would "aesthetics" would be in play?

1/8" thick steel isn't going to provide you any additional support at all. And aluminum would be even worse! You would need to use angle, channel, or tubing to get any additional rigidity out of it. Though I agree with TIODS, a "5th" leg right in the center adds a great deal of support and added strength, including long term support from fatigue failure, and it's pretty much hidden. You could do a bolt-on steel cross bar in the center made from tubing, similar to the attached picture. 

Cross Bar.jpg