Value of this Oak Piece

akochevar

All,

I am helping my parents clear their estate, and we came by this piece of oak that was cut down nearly 20 years ago.  It has sat in the place you see in the image since then.  The piece is 13" wide, 10' long, and about 8" tall.  I would love if you guys could give me an estimate on value so we have a starting point for selling it.  It is located in Michigan.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

20160530_113528.jpg

I don't know the value of it, but I'd pay $300 for a piece that I can get a perfectly flat on both sides board 1-1/2" thick, 13" wide, and 8' long out of.  I've been looking for that specific board for over 6 months for a repair on a door to an 18th Century church.  I only want old air dried, and oak would be just fine.

86.6 board feet of lumber. Hard to tell what kind of oak it is. Doesn't look particularly like red oak to me. Just guessing white oak might be worth $350 but finding someone who is willing to pay that might take some time. I look forward to seeing what the other guys have to say about this.

21 hours ago, akochevar said:

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments.  Here is a picture of the end grain finally.  Looks like the cut is right above the pith and does not include it.  Thoughts on value with the new information?

IMG_20160626_1030291511.jpg

Not at all clear so I could be wrong but from what I see there it does not look like ANY kind of oak, but I'm just saying that because I can't see any rays. If the rays are there then that's a different story.

You would have to get a LOT closer and well focused (after the end grain had been cleaned up) to be able to tell white from red because the only way you can be sure visually is if it has tylosis in the pores. Unless it's a live oak, and then you're totally out of luck on red/white distinction 'cause the pores are generally too small on both red and white live oaks to tell visually if there is any tylosis there.