I need Help with my Porter Cable Dovetail Jig

jgfore

I purchased the Porter Cable 12" Dovetail jig tonight. Got it home and found out that the jig collar (templet guide) does not fit my Bosch 1617 router. I have checked several different places to see what is sold to fix the problem. What I have found is the Quick adapter (RA1126) and the 7 peice set of Bosch templet guides would do the job (RA1126), but before I spend another $60.00 on top of what I have already spent, I thought that I would see if anyone else has ran into the problem. If so, how did you handle the problem?

Jeff F

I had that problem, too, with the 1617 and the Leigh D4R jig. I found an adapter that snaps into the 1617 like those Bosch-specific quick-change guides, but it accepts regular "de facto" Porter-Cable templet guides (the 2-part guides).

I have the piece in front of me and there's no part number on it. A quick search found that what I have is a RA1100. Here's a link to the RA1100 at International Tools. (I've never used them; but that's a listing I found). Here's the information on the RA1100 from Bosch. That page states you need the RA1126, which isn't too expensive. Check your router, though, as I had the RA1126 in the kit I bought. Worse case, it's about $14 total at International Tools; I believe Amazon had them, too.

I had that problem, too, with the 1617 and the Leigh D4R jig. I found an adapter that snaps into the 1617 like those Bosch-specific quick-change guides, but it accepts regular "de facto" Porter-Cable templet guides (the 2-part guides).

I have the piece in front of me and there's no part number on it. A quick search found that what I have is a RA1100. Here's a link to the RA1100 at International Tools. (I've never used them; but that's a listing I found). Here's the information on the RA1100 from Bosch. That page states you need the RA1126, which isn't too expensive. Check your router, though, as I had the RA1126 in the kit I bought. Worse case, it's about $14 total at International Tools; I believe Amazon had them, too.

Thanks Paul. I was looking at those as well. I also found a router base plate at Woodcraft, Link. Picture below. I think this is the same type of base plate the Marc used with the Halloween blow video while using the template. Do you know how this would work?

144931_400.jpg

Jeff

The adapter is also available on Amazon.com for $5.08 with free shipping if you order $25 or more.

I've been using Porter Cable guides with the adapter and my experience is that you really need to tighten up the nut or it will loosen while you are using it, but then it is a real pain to get off because there isn't a good way to grip the guide to keep it from turning while you loosen the nut. So, I'd consider buying the Bosch template guide set for $27 so you don't have to mess around with the adapter. If you are only using the one bushing for your dovetail jig it may not be a problem, but if you are switching between different sizes, I think buying the Bosch guides is the way to go.

Rory

I have the Bosch 1617 too and tried the Bosch adapter. It worked, but it totally blocked sight through the base which I found that annoying. I ended up making a base out of clear acrylic similar to the one in Jeff's picture and have been using it to hold the PC guides.

The guides that came with my PC jig included a couple of 'O' rings that go between the guide and the knurled nut. This makes tightening the nut less critical because it won't vibrate loose and also makes it easier to get the nut off. The problem is then taking the 'O' ring off. I solved that problem by looping some sewing thread around the ring before I installed it. I can the grab the loop of thread and pull the ring off.

Can I get a little clarification? Do you need the RA1100 and the RA1126 to accept PC guide bushings? Or, can you get by with just the RA1100?

You will need both. The RA1126 mounts to the router base and accepts either the Bosch template guides or the RA1100 adapter for the Porter Cable guides. Double-check that you don't already have the 1126 before you buy one though--mine came with the router kit.

Rory

• 7 months later...

For those having a problem loosening or tightening the template guide nut go to your local hardware store and buy a set of plumbers pliers with the rubber jaw inserts.

I have a set of Ridgid template guides that came with two base plates. One for the Ridgid router and one that can be drilled to fit any router and use the template guides.Most woodworkers do not like the Ridgid guides because they are steel and reputedly vibrate loose unlike brass guides. I got some sad news for those Nay Sayers. I have never had one vibrate loose after dozens of applications.

I also have a PC base plate I re-drilled to use with my Hitachi router for use on my PC 4216 DT jig.