mad Dash

ncfowler

I got a phone call on Wednesday from my barber, he said he had a client who wanted me to make a cigar box guitar for him, he has a box he wanted made out of, I said go on, would I be able to make one for him?  I said no problem, then he said the downside is it need to be done in two weeks, it is going to be a gift for his father, I said no problem, picked up that night, I have the neck glued up shaped and ready to be installed, today, Most times I take my time making CBG's  most time I will take up to six weeks, I was lucky that I had enough supplies for this one, except a sound hole cover, which is on order from Gitty,

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Very nice! So im about as ignorant as you can get when it comes to these things. Is a cigar box guitar actually made from a cigar box??

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

yes, it is a cigar box, even though some are made from almost anything one can think of, this box shown is not the best, first it has a paper cover which deadens the sound, thus the pick up, the box is laminated with thin cedar over mdf , once again not a good sound wood at all, most good wooden boxes are made of Spanish cedar an excellent sound wood.  They can get pretty ornate and complicated, I try to stick to keeping it true to the name. If you are wondering how much I get for my guitars they start from $150 on up, this box even that it box was supplied will go for my starting price, because it is a basic model, if I had put in a Humbucker pick up and volume and tone it would have been around $250 the build on this box, the neck  and head, is laminated tiger maple and monogamy. the body braced with white ceder the top is also braced with white cedar, under the bridge is reinforced with Spanish cedar and a Piezo pick up is glued in place, and solder to a pick up jack on the bottom of the box, the neck has mother of pearl markers and the side of the fret board has brass markers, the frets are brass, the fret board is made of rose wood, as is the bridge, the nut and saddle is fake bone, the sound hole cover is brass with brass screen,  the top is not glued but brass screwed for easy access if any repairs or improvement are needed, the finish is a water base urethane, the neck and box unfinished wood was dyed with a water base stain mixed to my liking, the tuners are standard tuners this is a full size 241/2" even though I do make some boxes with longer necks up to 28" it is tuned to an open G (G-D-G) check out the links

https://www.google.com/search?q=cigar+box+guitars+for+sale&biw=1280&bih=584&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiN_cSV4trNAhWGbxQKHYcTA-cQ_AUICSgE&dpr=1.5

11 hours ago, shaneymack said:

150$ ???? So after buying materials you are working for like 1$/hr ?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

it takes me around 4 hrs real time in build, most time is waiting for glue up to dry,  cost of materials vary,  tuners are about a buck each, fret wire about the same, pick up according which ones I get range from $2 on up, the Piezo  pick ups are size of a quarter and thick as index card, while a humbucker pick up is a coil wound and cost me around $25 each and required fitting, the cost of the box range from free to $5 according where I get them.  the wood also vary I have the luxury of access to furniture quality mills that will sell me shorts for almost next to nothing, last time I went I got almost 25 bf of mixed hard woods milled for around $15 they have stacks of milled wood that will most times get sent to the furnace to heat up the kiln, I also have several mills that allow me to pick stock, the cost of neck shown at most cost me around $5 materials and labor to lam, trust me I am making a profit on these, the average cost of a guitar is under $50 . The most time in building is setting up the guitar intonation, nut and bridge and adjusting the tail stock, most times I will play my guitars for a few days before it leaves the shop to make sure there is no movement in the neck, and the strings are fully stretched ,

• Like 1