Maple and Purpleheart Candle Holder Center Piece

Cliff

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Very nice Cliff, i like the purple heart/maple combo.

Is that a bullmastiff? What a cutie!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

English Mastiff. She's basically our kid!

8 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

How thick is that? Looks really nice.

1.5 inches, the legs bring it about an inch off the table. 

2 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks great, Cliff! I bet you'll be getting requests for those now!

Yup. 2 a few days ago and 2 tonight. I could see making some more honestly. They are pretty easy overall. The biggest problem is that purple heart burns like no other on my table saw. Lot of cleanup with a card scraper. 

9 hours ago, bradpotts said:

It looks really nice. Great job Cliff. If I remember right Kev made a couple a while back so you needed to look no further than this forum my friend!

I made one but, there were one or 2 others that made one as well..  Mine wasn't the first and I don't recall who the others were.

This one is beech and walnut with a simple shellac finish.  Kind of the plain-jane side of the coin from your really cool version. The purple heart and maple combo really makes yours pop.  I may steal that idea for some upcoming Christmas gifts.

The original is from Woodsmith Magazine (in case anyone wants to go looking) and included being split down the middle.  The legs are solid underneath and act to hold it together and as the base for the candle cups to set on.

Like a lot of pieces of this sort, the setup is the bulk of the work.  I added thin felt "dots" to the feet to protect table surfaces as most folks seem to use them as centerpieces for special occasions.  A bit of holly or a small pine bough and presto, it's Christmas.  A small colorful gourd or two and its Thanksgiving.  That sort of thing ;-)

woodsmith-inspired-1.jpg

10 hours ago, gee-dub said:

This one is beech and walnut with a simple shellac finish.  Kind of the plain-jane side of the coin from your really cool version. The purple heart and maple combo really makes yours pop.  I may steal that idea for some upcoming Christmas gifts.

The original is from Woodsmith Magazine (in case anyone wants to go looking) and included being split down the middle.  The legs are solid underneath and act to hold it together and as the base for the candle cups to set on.

Like a lot of pieces of this sort, the setup is the bulk of the work.  I added thin felt "dots" to the feet to protect table surfaces as most folks seem to use them as centerpieces for special occasions.  A bit of holly or a small pine bough and presto, it's Christmas.  A small colorful gourd or two and its Thanksgiving.  That sort of thing ;-)

woodsmith-inspired-1.jpg

I actually need to knock one of these out for a gift and was wonder what 3 or 4 would look like, 4 it is! Great job Gee-Dub and Cliff!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bradpotts said:

It looks really nice. Great job Cliff. If I remember right Kev made a couple a while back so you needed to look no further than this forum my friend!

That is so strange that it never popped up in search! Maybe I suck at searching. I'll have to go see what others did. 

12 hours ago, gee-dub said:

woodsmith-inspired-1.jpg

I like the split, but thought it would make it too hard for me to do right! I also put felt on the bottom - and mostly because one leg was a shade shorter than the other three, so I doubled up felt on that one and it evened them out.