Tormec T8

The T8 was announced a few weeks back  and has been on sale in the UK for a few weeks. I still can't justify the cost of a wet grinder like this, especially when you add on all the attachments (you've just GOT to have everything after all :lol:) and even the T4 is a little pricy for me. I will stick with the granite/sandpaper/scary sharp and waterstones (all combined with the Veritas MK2) that I have been using for years. 

Anybody got one or thinking of getting one? 

I've got a T7, and a whole mess of jigs. It's fantastic if you turn a lot. I used to turn as my source primary source of woodworking fun. I have sharpened chisels with it in the past and have had good results. However it creates a hollow grind which I don't find preferable for most cutting edges. It's irreplaceable for turning gouges and tools that have a radius edge like a scorp.

Just unpacked a T-8, but have yet to fire it up.  Being new, it took over a month to show up on my porch.  And I went with the everything package, with tools I'll probably never use, because I had the option to do so now, might not have the option to do so later, and our son, who's just getting interested in woodworking, is going to inherit it all some day, as I just turned 65. I don't have a lathe yet, but its on my short list. 

I tried the whole scary-sharp / water stones process.  Got that Tee-shirt already.   But I'm interesting in improving my woodworking, not my woodworking tool maintenance, so I went with the Tormek.  My wife is into serious sewing, embroidering, quilting and cooking, so being able to sharpen scissors and knives sorta helped sell it.  We have a drawer full of dull knives, so I intend to start practicing there before moving on to my chisels and planes.

6 hours ago, gjforeman said:

Just unpacked a T-8, but have yet to fire it up.  Being new, it took over a month to show up on my porch.  And I went with the everything package, with tools I'll probably never use, because I had the option to do so now, might not have the option to do so later, and our son, who's just getting interested in woodworking, is going to inherit it all some day, as I just turned 65. I don't have a lathe yet, but its on my short list. 

I tried the whole scary-sharp / water stones process.  Got that Tee-shirt already.   But I'm interesting in improving my woodworking, not my woodworking tool maintenance, so I went with the Tormek.  My wife is into serious sewing, embroidering, quilting and cooking, so being able to sharpen scissors and knives sorta helped sell it.  We have a drawer full of dull knives, so I intend to start practicing there before moving on to my chisels and planes.

Congrats on your new tools and reaching 65. I'm just down the road from you in Claremont.

The tormek is a nice machine you should have many sharp knives soon,?